Early Christmas

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Gunner1961
Big ORCA Fan

Early Christmas

Post by Gunner1961 »

I haven't seen a lot of interest in the Zebco reels on here and to be honest, I really hadn't much interest myself until a couple months back. I was content with collecting various bait casting reels and steel rods. A few months back that changed. The red spool reel in the center of the photo was purchased at a local yard sale. After cleaning and researching it I educated my self enough to be dangerous about them. The black reel on the left was purchased shortly there after at a local estate auction. Turns out its a real gem. First day production, fifth reel of twenty five made that day. Today I received the tan spinner reel in the mail (eBay). All I need now is a black faced spinner reel without the holes and the small foot rivet to complete them. I'm looking now into a display case to put them all in. Thanks for reading my ramblings and Merry Christmas to everyone!
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Early Christmas

Post by nomdeplume57 »

You have the Second number 5 of the first 25 . I got the First one .
Gunner1961
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gunner1961 »

Interesting, mine is identical other than the five in the rivet. The five partially drilled holes are almost in the exact position as well. mine also has the Thors hammer mold markings. So if this is the true identifiers of the twenty five that were produced that day, was the number actually twenty five? What is your basis for saying yours is the first number five? Is there more information out there that I am not aware of? I'm not really concerned as who's was made first, I know they are both extremely rare but I am really curious at this point.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You've done well. Those are some hard to fine early Zebcos, especially in nice condition. Congratulations! I would imagine Dick and Clinton will be along in the near future and I'm sure they will have some comments.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Gunner1961
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gunner1961 »

Thanks Tommy
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice score, Gunner! Note that there is a ton of interest in Zebcos here with several dedicated collectors. If you did not see this thread, you should have a look...very informative!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19116&hilit=Spinner+head

If you use the "advanced search" feature in the upper right, you can find many other past posts to browse through!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Gunner1961
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Gunner1961 »

Thanks John