Sometimes it's not the $$

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Reeltyme

Sometimes it's not the $$

Post by Reeltyme »

I just received my first issue of Reel Talk today (that wasn't purchased at a yard sale) and sat down and read the article by Joe Walkowski, Change for a penny. I loved it! It made me think about my own "prize". I personally love old fishing tackle that has a story. I bought this rod and reel on EBay. I had to have it at any cost the moment I saw it, it spoke to me. The rod is a full 36" long. The eyes are simply screw eyes (probably from an old screen door), the top one simply bent over. The reel is an old 4 Brothers, bent handle and will just barely turn anymore. It has been attached to the rod with a couple of wood screws through drilled holes. The thumb brace on the back of the rod is fashioned out of some scavenged piece of metal from who knows what. The rod is painted with an old red wash paint except for the lower back section, that area was reserved for the hand carved measurements all the way up to 12"! As great as this all is, the best part is the hand inscription on the back side of the reel. It reads, Willard Adams, June 12, 1935 Junction, Texas. At this time the country was in a depression and the mid west was a dust bowl. Folks in that area of the country were probably poor as Junction does not appear to have much except the South Llano River. I can imagine (at least in my mind) Willard Adams about age 8, deciding he would make his own fishing outfit being as he couldn't afford to buy one. He would do whatever it took to go fishing! It could be that he helped feed his family with his home made outfit. I guess we'll never know and have to speculate instead. Anyway, I hope you like looking at my prize possession and enjoyed the rambling.

bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Sometimes it's not the $$

Post by bettybarr »

Reel News is always full of great stories and Joe's is a good example of a find that he made into a great tale. Your rod and reel is another example of tackle we wish could talk. It speaks of a utilitarian pride. Thank you for posting. And welcome! Send more.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I can imagine (at least in my mind) Willard Adams about age 8...
I'll bet this was the proud owner of your outfit. His dad was a farmer.

(If I'd been a family member, I'd have had some choice words for the headstone engraver.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks a bunch Steve! I really wonder if that was the gentleman/owner of my treasure. The person I purchased it from was located in Texas as well. It will now be part of MY story anyway!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Love it! Cool find and great story, and leave it to ORCA's own Sherlock Holmes to add the icing to the cake. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi reeltyme! Thanks for the nice words about my article in the mag! (Thank you, too, Betty!). Like you, I enjoy discovering the "story" that old fishing tackle has to tell- the history, design, who might have used it, when, why. Sometimes the story is right in front of you, sometimes you have to dig and research, and sometimes you just have to speculate! For me, a big part of the enjoyment is knowing (or trying to know) the "story".

Terrific rod/reel you found! Steve really added to your story by supplying the dates! Doesn't matter how old Willard was when he put together the combo, it was obviously made up by someone who really wanted to go fishing, couldn't buy an outfit, and had to make do with found and made parts! I sure hope he caught a lot of fish with it! And yea- I agree- "Sometimes it's not the $$"!

Couple questions for you:
Marker says Willard died in 2006- do you think he kept the rod/reel throughout his life time and it was sold or passed on as part of his estate and it came down to you eventually? The fact he signed and dated the reel shows he had a lot of pride in it!
Could that rod have been made from the shaft of w wooden golf club? Dimensions seem about right. Believe it or not, I once had a rod made from a golf club! Not as well-done as yours- the "handle" was just several layers of tape built up.

And Steve, I guess you can't go back and "edit" on a stone grave marker, eh? Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNY)
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Hi Joe, Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your article really "hit home " with me. I have several rods and reels that have no real monetary value, but the stories they could tell,,,. As for the golf club theory, that would explain the small knob on the end! Looking at when Willard (or Williard) past and taking into account the time frame for an estate sale, add the roughly 4 years I have owned it, I'll say it's a good chance that he kept it throughout his life. It is obvious that he had great pride in the outfit. I still have my first rod and spinning reel. They bring back great memories of HUGE 8" Brookies here in central New York. Keep up the great stories!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I guess you can't go back and "edit" on a stone grave marker, eh?
You could try duct tape.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Reeltyme, you made my day with those photos and your story. And Steve, as he so often does, added some amazing information to the story of that funky rod and reel.
Good stuff!
Richard

p.s.: I am glad you liked Joe's story in The Reel News. I did, too!