Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Post by Paul M »

Several ORCA members have kindly provided a few pictures of reels from their collections along with some comments about them, to help ORCA promote membership via our ORCA Facebook page. For those of you that have not been able to check out the ORCA Facebook page, I am posting clippings of some of the recent posts. Several posts have pictures that you can only see by going to the actual post on the ORCA Facebook page. Let me know if you need assistance finding it. Maybe Richard Lodge can also post related stories in upcoming editions of Reel News.

This series of posts has been well received by the various audiences on Facebook so I would encourage more of our members to send in pictures of reels in their collection along with a note about the reels to let everyone know what they are and something more personal, like why you like them. Just PM me for e-mailiing instructions.

Thanks again for all the great picture contributions!
Paul Manuel

PS If you get on Facebook and click on any of these pictures there, you will end up on the ORCA Website Homepage in the hopes that if you have not already joined as a paying member, you will do so right then and there. I'm just saying....

Last edited by Paul M on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - Jan 2017

Post by Mike N »

Thanks Paul. I'm not on Facebook and really loved seeing those collections. I hope you can post again a few neat screenshots.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Here is the post that I have just prepared for release on the ORCA Facebook page tomorrow evening at 7:00pm eastern.

[Note: There is a limit of 5 pictures for these sorts of posts. Some posts have just one or two photos. In the Facebook environment, these pictures have generally been configured on purpose as "clickbait". When someone scrolls through the images, they see images. If they click on a picture to get a closer look, they instead get re-directed to the homepage of the ORCA website to see the JOIN button. I will show all the pictures for this post below, as well, since you can't scroll through them in the form of a clipping.]

We do need more members to send pictures to feature on the Facebook page. In the meantime I will use what ORCA already has. It is important to keep pumping the ORCA name out there to attract more reel enthusiasts within the millions of Facebook users.

Paul Manuel
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

This evening on the ORCA Facebook page I will be posting this brief video about early automatic reels in my collection.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is another one posted earlier this week:

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You obviously found a neat little niche with the FB page, Paul, and ORCA surly benefits from your commitment to it. Keep up the good work, it's looking nice!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, wonderful job, Paul! The little movies really add to the presentation and personalize the Club and act of collecting!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Your comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Member reel pics and brief videos would be helpful to keep up the momentum.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

ORCA Facebook Page Valentine's Day 2017 Sign Up promo as posted this morning:

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Post by Paul M »

Here is the ORCA Facebook post scheduled for early tomorrow morning to replace the Valentine's Day promo post. If you have not yet read the referenced article, you definitely should! The pictures at the bottom of the planned Facebook post come directly from the linked article.

Paul M
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Neat stuff Paul! :cool I wish I could stay there for awhile and view all your great info in it's entirety. Too bad the page can't be reset to its original public viewing scenario like it was in the beginning a year or so ago. :(

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Tom:

Thanks for your interest. Here is another post tentatively scheduled for release next Tuesday.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

PS - You might be able to get a look at the ORCA Facebook page and posts without having to have a Facebook account. Try downloading a new browser like Firefox (from Firefox.com) and entering this into the URL window:

https://www.facebook.com/ORCA-Old-Reel- ... 760434773/

I was able to scroll up and down the page and click a bit with just one annoying box at the bottom of the screen that I ignored. It looks like this:

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks, Paul. That's the way it originally was on Chrome. At least it would allow time to thoroughly view new postings.

FYI, I just tried that link on Chrome & it let me browse for maybe 2 minutes before it covered everything up. I might try Firefox.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Thanks, Paul. That's the way it originally was on Chrome. At least it would allow time to thoroughly view new postings.
Have fun for a while!

I think the key is to use a fresh Browser that you have not previously used, or find a way to wipe all the cached info. Downloading a browser you have never tried before AND using the direct link shown above sidesteps the FB login requirements, at least temporarily. If you click on the Facebook SignUp/Login box at the bottom that will probably end the ability for an unregistered look.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Midway Tommy D wrote:...it let me browse for maybe 2 minutes before it covered everything up. I might try Firefox.
Firefox does the same thing.
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

:idea: Incognito might work that way, too.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Fer cryin' out loud, if you want to read the ORCA FB page, how much trouble is it worth to avoid opening an FB account? I despise FB as much as anyone :x , but I have 2 accounts. Open one with a fake name (Etaoin Shrdlu comes to mind), don't include any real info when answering their snooping questions, and read the ORCA page. And make sure their reams of cookies disappear when you close your browser, whichever of your 27 browsers you're using.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: I despise FB as much as anyone :x , but I have 2 accounts.
Well obviously you haven't been proscribed from having one. :lol: My best half has mandated, due to my inability to keep my lips zipped :shock: , that FB is completely off limits. No cell, so therefor, no tweetin', either. :bash: Dang it looks like fun :mrgreen: , but as always, she's right. :rose

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Ironically, I was the proscriber for years :x , until we learned that FB had become the sole means of communication between the grandkids and everyone else :bash: . So we finally opened a joint account :jump: . But Twitter? No chance. And smartphones are out, since I can't type on one, and the typing by voice never gets it right :doh: .

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Yeah, my granddaughter is on FB as well. Has her face stuffed in a smartphone, and texts all the time. I, (aka, papa) do none of the above. I informed her that I only "talk" on a cell phone and that I have the money she will someday inherit. Therefore, you WILL call me! She does. As for FB, I'll see it all here! :D
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Hey! Etaoin Shrdlu! So your hidden past as a Linotype operator finally comes out, Steve. I knew you'd slip up at some point. I've always wanted to see that last name - Shrdlu - on the back of a football jersey or something. "Hey Shrdlu! Go Etaoin, go!"
:loco:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

hidden past
Nothing is hidden from Facebook. :x

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Planned ORCA Facebook post for 7:00 PM Eastern Feb 23, 2017

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8760434773

Paul Manuel
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is an ORCA Facebook post planned for Tuesday Feb 28, 2017, promoting ORCA and the Bronson Reel Photos research site.

Paul Manuel

PS If anyone cares to help out and draft a promo for the Ocean City Reel Photos site, please let me know.