Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Post by Paul M »

Here is the most recent post on the ORCA FB page promoting the March Reel News, followed by a post on the OC research page scheduled to publish this evening. There was also a repeat of the Branson Wine & Reels event in between.

Paul M

PS Please send your reel pics to me to help keep the Facebook page fresh. The thing the audience likes most is videos or pictures about old reels in our collections.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, Paul. Thanks for being the FB shepherd!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The most recent ORCA Facebook post on March 9th was a repeat but with some new pictures.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is a post that I just put on the ORCA Facebook page, along with a Youtube version of the video that was uploaded into facebook, in case you can't get there.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

... and another post I forgot to place here from March 14th. I am in a lot of these posts so PLEASE send me pics of YOUR reels and related activities. It is not about me. The Facebook posts are intended to help attract closet collectors to join ORCA.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Where are the 3 most recent ORCA Facebook posts.
[Please send me your reel pictures the I can post on the ORCA Facebook page.]

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The latest post on the ORCA Facebook site was made a little earlier than per the routine schedule. I have some personal obligations that may limit my availability and internet access this week. So I wanted to post while I could.

Paul M
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

That is a very classy display Paul. It points to the timeliness of our new reference book on Julius Vom Hofe reels. Thanks for another great post. Our Facebook page is garnering loads of interest and new members.
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

I did finally post on the ORCA FB page today because of the urges here, and appreciate the ability to have done so. However, I will add my very small dos centavos (two cents): When you go to the page, you don't see the most recent posts from people as I saw tonight in the center where everyone looks. I noticed my post was at the right and was so small that it might not catch interest. I'm not advocating that my post was interesting at all (and most likely wasn't!) but to really generate interest among those not a member, I'd think it would need to show what is new and very visible in the main area? This is most likely a function of FB I don't understand, but in the end, I just want those who AREN'T members to see that there is a reason to join.

Thanks for all you do for FB!

Cheers,
Keith
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

And I will add that my all time most favorite saying is "It is what it is" so if that is true, well...
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Keith:

Thanks for contributing! More volunteers are ALWAYS welcome.
The ORCA Facebook page is set up as an out-facing promotional billboard to encourage new paid memberships from the general public. It is not like a public Facebook Group where anyone can post at will. The ORCA Facebook page is not a substitute for Reel Talk that has special content management features. New topics on the central ORCA Facebook "timeline" can only be created by official editors appointed by ORCA. The general public can "Like" and or comment on those posts in the central timeline, however new topics from anyone else go into the Visitor Section shown on the side of the Facebook page as you described. The way that all works is a Facebook design feature. (I have occasionally selected content about special reels or questions from outsiders and posted it here in Reel Talk). ORCA does want pictures of your reels and related descriptions that ORCA can use in promotional posts. Please forward that sort of content to me or other designated parties (Richard, Betty, etc).

IMHO if you want to help spread the word about ORCA via Facebook, there is nothing stopping anyone from expressing themselves on any public Facebook Group. I do it all the time on unaffiliated Groups that I administer or where I am registered. See my signature line to see what I mean.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

More Re: Recent ORCA Facebook Page Posts - 2017

Post by Paul M »

I want to emphasize that all contributions to the ORCA Facebook effort are most welcome. In fact, Keith's contribution already drew a post today from a Facebook user who also has an OC collection. That is exactly the sort of enthusiasm we want to stimulate from closet collectors on Facebook. The reason ORCA needs the content to flow through a member of the ORCA Facebook editorial team is to ensure it is placed in the central timeline and is structured in a way that also brings interested parties to our site. The version posted now will bring anyone clicking on the picture to our homepage, giving them the immediate opportunity to Join ORCA. This is what it looks like.

If you need a closer look, the post can be seen here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/22939876043477 ... 06/?type=3

Thank you Keith.

Paul M
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

This is a VERY belated reply, Paul, and I am very thankful you posted that post for me. I meant in no way to disparage anything anyone has done on FB for ORCA, although I don't think you took it that way, which I am thankful for! I hope no-one else did either, but if you did, here is my humble public apology. :bow:

I'm glad the post garnered at least a little interest. I was fishing this weekend with a guide in eastern TN that was very intrigued that I brought along my old Ocean City 922, but after catching a nice 10lb catfish just screwing around with it (we were striper fishing) he and I had a long conversation about older reels. This is a guy that actually had a shot at being in Jeremy Wade's shoes for that job (River Monsters) but he didn't speak four languages and gave props where props were due. He is still on the occasional pro circuit and sponsored by several very well known companies, and made the comment at one point that he could see why I liked older gear. The new stuff is all made in China and just not the quality that it used to be. He said that it is a constant complaint among the professional fishermen he converses with. Of course all of his stuff that day was promotional Penn spinning rods and reels that were beat to death, but they did the job for my son, and it was all about him having a great day fishing, not me.

Anyway, thanks! I greatly appreciate what you do, and refer to ORCA often when I buy on eBay through feedback or post on my FB page, although I'm not a big FB fan. Love pushing ORCA though!

Tight lines,
Keith
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Today's ORCA Facebook Post:
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

An ORCA Facebook post scheduled for Thursday. I will post the original content with "After" pictures in Cleaning and Restoration, although this one is more of a Transformation.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I didn't get around to creating a new ORCA Facebook post today. Please send me reel pictures!

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is a reel that I bought at the recent CAFTA show. It was a real curiosity to me. I had heard about these Cycloid Micromatic reels but knew little detail other than the information posted here in Reel Talk. I finally had a few minutes to open the reel to see what makes it tick. It is pretty "scary" inside. Lots of unusual mechanisms. This reel is a bit of an enigma. I'm very glad to have peeked inside but quickly decided that I wasn't qualified to tinker. I managed to get it back together with the two rim controls working the way they are supposed to. Even with the side plates removed you can't access the inside area of the spool flanges. That is an extra set of steps I chose to avoid. One cool feature is the pair of spring loaded oil ports on the foot area. Each one has a channel that leads into those hidden spool flanges areas, one for each side.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

In case folks are wondering what "unusual mechanisms" means, here's a shot of a Micromatic's overly complex (IMHO) centrifugal brake. See Reel News, Jan., 2015.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks Steve. These brake pads look like cork. The ones in my reel appear to be leather. I added this to the original Facebook Post.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks again to Bill Sonnett for the tip on how to bring these NOS handles back from the dead.

Paul M
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

And the link is here if you want to venture to the ORCA Facebook page see the brief video.....https://www.facebook.com/22939876043477 ... 440922325/

Paul M

PS Thanks again to Midway Tommy D and Dick Janak for helping me get this reel back into working condition.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »