Recognize or know about this All Coast reel?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Recognize or know about this All Coast reel?

Post by WeeKilt »

Just picked up a nice All Coast 311-250 in a collection. This reel is in nice usable condition. Looks similar to some Ocean City reels I have. Anyone know any more about it? I'm thinking it was a private label reel for Sears based on what I could see on the Ocean City Reel Photos website, but would love to know more about it. Is the core around the center a stock option or something someone has added? Anything you know would be great. I'm always learning...

Tight lines, Keith

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Recognize or know about this All Coast reel?

Post by john elder »

Yes, as reported on our OC website, it was made by Ocean City for Sears:

http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/oc-s ... reels.html

The cork arbor was added later, I believe....not sure whether OC offered those or someone modified it from Pflueger or other company...nice add! Great boxes, if you can find them!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Thanks John! I was fairly comfortable that it was a private labeled OC - have you an idea on date of mfgr?

I love it! Spins freely, and the reels I buy I'm not afraid to use. I've yet to get to that point where someone that knows better would smack me if I did use it. (I'm fairly certain that will happen now that I am a member of ORCA!)

I do take the time to look around online to see if I can answer the questions I have, but this is the reason why I joined, and I am very grateful you took the time to respond! I did see the 550 listed there, but not the center center "cork" on the reel. Mucho thanks for the response! :bow:
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I believe any trade reel made for Sears prior to WWII, had Sears stock numbers starting with "311" (Ocean City) or "312" (Bronson). Other prefixes were used for other manufacturers. Your reel was made pre-WWII, but it would be tough (for me, anyway) to narrow down a build date.
Mark