Airex Mastereel Model 1

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Airex Mastereel Model 1

Post by spadej1 »

I just acquired this Airex Mastereel Model 1, in very good condition. The only real flaws are in the rotor cup, which has some corrosion. Barely any paint loss in the body either. The only issue that I can easily see is that the handle knob doesn't appear to be from this model, but from a later model. The spool might also be from a Model 2, but it could just be a later Model 1. Bob Halver's Airex book mentions a second spool type on the Model 1. Anyway, I know these are pretty rare although not in high demand. I'm always asking questions so I was pretty excited to luck out and wanted to share!

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Airex Mastereel Model 1

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice find. The Model 1 is a fairly difficult reel to come by. I have seen that style knob on a Model 1 that was supposed to be NIB, once, and wondered then, too. Interesting coincidence. Maybe Bob will slip by and elaborate.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Airexguy »

The handle knob is a later version. I feel this was done due to the knurled knob chipping or breaking easier. I've never seen corrosion quite that bad on a spool cup, but I did read in Bache Browns diary about porous spool cups, maybe that could be the cause.

There were variations in spools, ie. line capacity etc. Any spool from models after model 1 and up to and including the 2 B will fit on the model one. Problem is some of the later ones have "Airex Division of Lionel" printed on the face. If you're a purest like me you want the early version without Lionel on it. Yours is correct for the era.

I have a nice clean early knob and a very clean spool cup available.

There's a host of great reading in my newest book; Bache H. Brown The Father of Spinning. I have it available for $24.95 shipped. Bob
Thanks, Bob Halver----->The Airex Guy
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

There's a host of great reading in my newest book; Bache H. Brown The Father of Spinning. I have it available for $24.95 shipped. Bob
I have it in hardback, Bob, and what a great read! :cool I would recommend it to anyone that has any interest at all in the onset and early years of spin fishing in the US. Thanks for putting it together!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks to you both. I also have the new book in hardcover, but haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to it! I haven't seen this specified, but do the spool cups from later models fit? I have several model 2A's and 2B's that have good ones I could use. I would be interested in the handle knob though. I could also use handles for the Model 2A if you have any.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!