Big Find...Stay in your ballpark

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Big Find...Stay in your ballpark

Post by Wayne B. »

We are vacationing in Myrtle Beach so I hit the antique shops in Selma, NC on the way down and found nothing. North Myrtle Beach has a large flea market that we always frequent. Very interesting place and some neat characters there.

There are a lot of established dealers inside the rickety structures. The best deals are usually found on pick-up truck row. New stuff comes in every weekend with new one-time dealers. This time I had to pass up a corroded "rare" Penn 285 for $80. "It's a Penn so it is rare". Kept walking!

Strange, but it is true. Next pick-up truck booth, a guy was selling nice Penn reels on Slammer rods for $60 - $70.

While out on pick-up row, my wife was going a search mission for me inside the buildings. She came out after I had had my laugh of the day looking at the 285 and told me a guy had an old reel I needed to see.

It was a very nice Record 50 spinning reel hidden way back in one his display cabinets. Being a conventional reel guy, I don't know anything about spinning reels other than the fact that that is what I fish with 90% of the time. When I saw Record (like in old expensive pre-Ambassaduer reels), I thought I hit the Holy Grail. Then he brought the box out...ratty, but still the original box...I knew I hit a huge score for my $30 expenditure.

Checked eBay when we returned to the condo. I will not lose any money on my purchase, but I realized, once again, I know Penn's a lot better than those reels that create line retrieval 90 degrees from the rotation of the handle. Who thought of that anyway?

Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Big Find...Stay in your ballpark

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Who thought of that anyway?
Some Dude that got sick of backlashes. :lol: HALLELUJAH! :bow:

As far as the reel goes, no matter, Wayne, it's a good find and in very, very nice condition. That reel would be a nice step up for many Swiss Record collectors. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Big Find...Stay in your ballpark

Post by Paul M »

Great buy IMHO!