Vintage industrial employee ID badges

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Vintage industrial employee ID badges

Post by Mike N »

I thought I would share a photo of my industrial employee ID badge collection, which focuses on old steel mills in the Pittsburgh area.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Vintage industrial employee ID badges

Post by scottorock »

Wow, that's neat! Thanks for sharing
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Very nice, Mike. My family was from the Pittsburgh area and I grew up there. I can remember seeing ID tags like that. My uncles had them.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

As a toolmaker I worked a number of places that used those. You carried them on a shower curtain ring on your belt. When you borrowed a tool fro the tool crib, one was placed where the tool came from. When you returned the tool, your tag was returned. In some cases you stamped or scratched the tag number on your finished product so they could tell who had worded on a project. You see those numbers in older reel quite a bit.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, guys.

Don- I recall when I worked at a division of National Steel Corp. during one college summer where your "badge number" was like today's social security number. I also worked at Continental Can Co. for two summers in the late '70s. Same thing.

If you see things like these employee ID badges from our pre-NAFTA manufacturing glory days, I hope you all will think about buying and preserving the items.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990