Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 pm 
Super Board Poster
Most of my reels are low value. Some of them even though they are low in monetary value, have some special significance to me. This is just a few. When I have so many reels that I have to search for one specific one, it either indicates maybe I have too many or the onset of Alzheimer's or perhaps both. Dad's Pflueger Skilkast. Back in the 1950's my Dad was a foreman at Delco Radio in Kokomo. He used to participate and win prizes in the casting club. When I was working for Kroger as a dispatcher, one of my drivers gave me this Pflueger Summit which used to be his dads. This Julius Vom Hofe was obtained in a trade for some lures with Phil Jensen who was the last remaining family member to own The Lurh Jensen Co. Hood River, Or. John Elder refurbished it for me. Romada 200 with box purchased from ORCA member Wayne Benson. Goite Reel made in Kokomo,In. Puirchased at a regional NFLCC meet in Indpls. Bronson Reel Previously owned by past ORCA members Rick Heitman and Robert Ellis. Old Pflueger Reel, bag and tin cup given to me by "Bad Bob Miller " at Frankfort, Ky. Convention[ Pflueger Oceanic refurbished by Rick Heitman. A couple of Dam Quick brass reels. Gift from Jacob Viereck (Denmark) These are just a few examples of reels I have with stories to tell. Now if I can just remember to tell them! Jon

Last edited by Jonathan P. Kring on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Jon, your reels and stories are why we collect. I hope this spurs others to share theirs too. Thanks for starting what should be a great thread.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:38 pm 
Star Board Poster
What a wonderful post, Jon! It serves to remind us all that chasing reels based on value really misses the point of what they should mean to us. The reels are just symbols of significant associations with people...bravo!

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:23 pm 
Super Board Poster
Started to work on it earlier, had camera set wrong pictures wouldn't load plus it took me all day searching!! Could be lack of organization! I'm sure I have more that have special meaning. The mind is a terrible thing to loose!

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:38 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
That's pretty darn cool, Jon. Reels with a story behind them are much more personal and impressive than some of those people have a tendency to chase from time to time. That's what collecting is all about, a meaning!

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 am 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
Those are some fine reels , Jonathan. I love the Pfluegers and Bronson reels.
Thanks,
Kevin

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 am 
Super Board Poster
As collectors items , mostly low value. As sentimental, they are the best. Still have the first reel I ever owned. A Montgomery Ward Sport King casting Reel. And old fiberglass rod. Several inches shorter from getting it caught in the front spokes on my bicycle. Always was a slow learner. Collector value, near zero. Never worked well, even when new. Probably the beginning of my collection? Maybe I should have trashed it and stuck with the harmonica? (LOL) Jon

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:01 am 
Super Board Poster
Jon, thanks for the post. I have a couple hundred reels on the wall. The ones that invoke the memory of a time, place, or person are the treasures...the others are just reels. I've got a nice looking hat up there too.