A Few Reels Which Are Special To Me

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

A Few Reels Which Are Special To Me

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Most of my reels are low value. Some of them even though they are low in monetary value, have some special significance to me. This is just a few. When I have so many reels that I have to search for one specific one, it either indicates maybe I have too many or the onset of Alzheimer's or perhaps both. Dad's Pflueger Skilkast. Back in the 1950's my Dad was a foreman at Delco Radio in Kokomo. He used to participate and win prizes in the casting club. When I was working for Kroger as a dispatcher, one of my drivers gave me this Pflueger Summit which used to be his dads. This Julius Vom Hofe was obtained in a trade for some lures with Phil Jensen who was the last remaining family member to own The Lurh Jensen Co. Hood River, Or. John Elder refurbished it for me. Romada 200 with box purchased from ORCA member Wayne Benson. Goite Reel made in Kokomo,In. Puirchased at a regional NFLCC meet in Indpls. Bronson Reel Previously owned by past ORCA members Rick Heitman and Robert Ellis. Old Pflueger Reel, bag and tin cup given to me by "Bad Bob Miller " at Frankfort, Ky. Convention[ Pflueger Oceanic refurbished by Rick Heitman. A couple of Dam Quick brass reels. Gift from Jacob Viereck (Denmark) These are just a few examples of reels I have with stories to tell. Now if I can just remember to tell them! Jon
Last edited by Jonathan P. Kring on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A Few Reels Which Are Special To Me

Post by bettybarr »

Jon, your reels and stories are why we collect. I hope this spurs others to share theirs too. Thanks for starting what should be a great thread.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What a wonderful post, Jon! It serves to remind us all that chasing reels based on value really misses the point of what they should mean to us. The reels are just symbols of significant associations with people...bravo!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Started to work on it earlier, had camera set wrong pictures wouldn't load plus it took me all day searching!! Could be lack of organization! I'm sure I have more that have special meaning. The mind is a terrible thing to loose!
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That's pretty darn cool, Jon. Reels with a story behind them are much more personal and impressive than some of those people have a tendency to chase from time to time. That's what collecting is all about, a meaning!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Those are some fine reels , Jonathan. I love the Pfluegers and Bronson reels.
Thanks,
Kevin
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

As collectors items , mostly low value. As sentimental, they are the best. Still have the first reel I ever owned. A Montgomery Ward Sport King casting Reel. And old fiberglass rod. Several inches shorter from getting it caught in the front spokes on my bicycle. Always was a slow learner. Collector value, near zero. Never worked well, even when new. Probably the beginning of my collection? Maybe I should have trashed it and stuck with the harmonica? (LOL) Jon
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Jon, thanks for the post. I have a couple hundred reels on the wall. The ones that invoke the memory of a time, place, or person are the treasures...the others are just reels. I've got a nice looking hat up there too.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com