Field find & an observation...

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Field find & an observation...

Post by JoeW »

Observation: I attend a lot of flea markets and garage sales. Over the past several years there was always a big demand for old LURES at such places. You literally had to get up in the middle of the night and go out with a flashlight to get a shot at any good lures. Remarkably, old REELS were typically passed over by buyers at such places! Why? Well, some were "dirty", some didn't work right, they all looked the same, and most were overpriced.

OK- two things have happened. Old LURES have dried up at flea markets and even garage sales! All the sellers take their stuff directly to buyers they know- the good old lures never make it to the flea markets! I do believe most of the "field finds" currently are coming from actual collections, not truly from old fishermen or old tackle boxes. I haven't found a good LURE at a flea market in a long time!

Now, all during this time, reel prices have been dropping "in the field"! Flea market sellers just couldn't get rid of them! Some sellers aren't even bringing them to the markets anymore! When I joined ORCA this past spring, I started looking at these low priced reels and started picking them up! I couldn't afford not to! And I'm finding plenty, and some better one's, too!

And... people ARE getting interested in them! Maybe because old LURES are so impossible to find, they're discovering how great the old REELS can be! I've noticed more than just me poking over a pile of old bait casters at a flea table! I've found that I can resell them, too, at prices more appropriate to their real value! Result, I am picking up every old reel I see "in the field"! I'm keeping the old spinners, that's for sure, and some of the older "classics".

And I am getting good deals and bringing home a LOT of old reels! Many of them I've passed off to people here, some to Ebay, some at Joe's, and ... some I keep. REELS have rejuvenated my old tackle collecting flame!

Pic is of last Sunday's find at one flea market. Five different sellers. Had to pick through a bushel basket of parts reels to get a few. One guy was so stunned when I said "How much for ALL" of his pile, I don't think he was aware of the very low figure he gave me! He was just glad to get rid of them! Another guy said he's bringing some more next week! There's a couple of good ones in the mess. Just a lot of good reels for the novice or casual collectors, or for those that can't spend a fortune. Haven't really had time to look them over or give them a bath. Oh, the toils of reel collecting!
Thanks for your patience in taking the time to read my ramblings! Best---- joeW

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Field find & an observation...

Post by sdlehr »

Interesting observations, Joe. And nice haul! That HR/NS Ocean City with the wood handle grasp - which model is that?

Thanks.
Sid Lehr
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi Sid--- That's an OC Brigantine, hard rubber and NP. Kinda rough and has a crack all the way across the back plate. Strictly a wall-hanger. Part of the "I'll take them all" deal.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice find, Joe! It's good to tell us, but don't let on to anyone else until we harvest all the good ones!!

That early Pflueger Summit is the pride of the pile as far as I'm concerned and even in a down market, should be about 80 bucks, if $ matter....I believe that's the first model, if not near it, with rooter grasps and lacks spare pawl, oiler and adjustments...they are a great venue for collecting!

Check out the foot on your Brigantine...if an early one, it will be NS not NP!

j

PS: the two reels to the left of the Summit are interesting, as well! Check out that oddball left handed reel on the end! and the one in between....is that Bronson? Tell us more about those two, please!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Left hand Pflueger SpeedKast? Never seen one before, if that's what it is.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Hi all-- let me get some pics taken and a little time and I'll get back with some answers, pics, and... questions. I'll be posting here. For now:

Yea, real early Summit- no model number! Could it be NS? That's a "keeper" for me.

That Brigantine is definitely NP and steel, I think. Foot has rust?

That little Pfl on the left is a Fas-Kast and I believe the handle is reversible!

Neat little pile of reels, and like I said, I couldn't afford NOT to pick them up. Another flea market Sat. I'm going to bring a little dolly- those reels get heavy! Have fun. Best---- JoeW
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Nice haul, Joe!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Here's a couple of the reels in which there was some interest.

The Pflueger 1510 Fas-Kast surprised me when I picked it up. Looked like a piece of import junk! But, there was an embossed Pflueger shield or crest- never saw that used before. Looked on the internet and kept seeing both LH winders and RH winders- then realized it a "switchable"! That big dial on the shield side is really just a cover for installing the handle on the right side. Big dark jeweled endcaps, too. Plastic and aluminum. Unfortunately has a lot of corrosion all over. Pretty scarce reel from what I've seen? Very interesting piece of work.

The other is marked only "Gold Bond" on the inside of the handle side. Look like steel bearings in the end caps? Click works fine, spins freely. Bunch of rust on spool shaft after I removed the cotton string backing someone had put on it. Great, unusual engraving. Any help with maker?

Enjoy! Can't wait until tomorrow! Best--- JoeW
Last edited by JoeW on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Joe,
The "Gold Bond" seems to be a very nice example of this Bronson trade reel. I'd love to use some photos of yours to upgrade the ones currently on the Bronson site. I'd give you credit for the photos on the site, making you forever famous and immortal.
Mark
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

wrong99 wrote:Joe,
The "Gold Bond" seems to be a very nice example of this Bronson trade reel. I'd love to use some photos of yours to upgrade the ones currently on the Bronson site. I'd give you credit for the photos on the site, making you forever famous and immortal.
Mark
My pleasure Mark. Are the pics posted here OK or do you need something different? And yea, send along the immortality, the fame I've got plenty of! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The thumbnails are too small. They have to be full-size photos. Thanks.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

joe, thanks for the followup! I'm embarrassed that I didn't know about the switchable handles on that Pflueger! Maybe we can get Bad Bob to stop his preparations for the eclipse coming over his house, long enough to educate us!

Are the side plates anodized aluminum? Would be a fun reel to reno.

j
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Good score, and good info here.

That early Summit immediately caught my eye.

John
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Regarding the comment that the thumbnails posted here are "too small", every picture uploaded to this board is done in full resolution up to 2 MB. Even if the poster uses a thumbnail in the posting, you can expand the thumbnail and right-click and download the large image file. I just downloaded two of the images, and they are 1.8 MB and excellent resolution, suitable for any board.

Having said that, we should all respect the photographer and ask permission to repost and give credit forever on the original photos. But you don't need separate photos, the ones here are good.

We have one of the best photo management systems on the internet, especially better than any other fishing tackle club site. You just have to use it.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks to that great Reel News directory in the Best Of... book, it took little to overcome inertia and chase down a couple factoids re the Pflueger FasKast. Bad Bod Miller wrote a column about Forgotten Baitcasters in 2006 and the FasKast was one in that bunch. He reports that it was made in 1960 as a modernized, "streamlined" reel and the claim was that you could switch the handle from right- to left-hand in less than a minute. It lasted until 1966, when I guess it was decided that it's time had either passed or never came! Aluminum side plates and tenite trim.

Man, Bob did so much and published about everything you would want to know about Pflueger reels! Thanks, Bob!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

BTW, Joe....stick a magnet on that Brigantine and let us know what (doesn't) happen! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

As per your request, I held a kitchen refrigerator magnet to it and the only place it stuck was on the shaft of the spool. Gotta be NPB, right? See pics. Best--- JoeW

Added a fifth pic- closeup

Last edited by JoeW on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I'd believe the foot is NPB, the spool flanges appear to me to be nickel silver.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Take it apart and lob the metal foot and other parts in 1:1 white vinegar overnight, then give a rub with 0000 steel wool. i think you will be pleasantly surprised!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Reel has already been sent to someone who will give it a better home than I could of. And I'm thinking if I would have taken off the end plates, they would have fallen apart. I think the screws are the only things holding it all together. Nothing's worse than HR gone bad. Best--- JoeW

Oh yea-- Sat's flea market (a smaller one) yielded only an Akron, a Higgins, and an OC. Nothing exciting to report. But I did pick up a bag of little wrenches and a few reel wrenches! That should help me on my way!