Estate sale finds, question, and...

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

A shout out to “a Good Guy” here at the site! Don’t want to use his name and embarrass him- he’d probably just hang his head down and say “Aw Shucks”. He told me to bathe a reel from a find that I had earlier in that 50/50 vinegar/water. It had “coppery-brass” showing on it in several places and I figured it was just worn NP. Well, the reel was gone before I had a chance to try the soaking.

Be patient, now. Garage sale Sunday last week was a washout... But I did go to an estate sale. I was number 59 to get in. As I stood there, one of the earlier buyers came out with a tray of about a dozen very common, very beat up old lures. He said they were marked $3-4 each. Not worth it, thought I. But then he added “There was a whole card table set up with old reels!”. Geez! Tried to remember if I had taken my blood pressure med that morning. Kept watching- no one coming out with anymore tackle--- my turn!

Yep, table full of old reels and tackle boxes full of junk. Table was marked “$X and up”- just my price. I looked through the 60-80 reels very quickly, not paying attention to names, just grabbing the older looking ones, not knowing when someone might appear and take them all! Some were broken, some were newer, some were cheap imports. I cherry picked a pile then called the “helper” over and asked for a price for all. He said words that I love to hear, “If you take all those, I’ll let you have them for the minimum”. I added a couple more, and the terrific “Ozark Automatic Elevator Minnow Bucket”, helper gave a total, and I paid. Heart thumping away, hands shaking, I was sure I hadn’t taken my med that morning! Got them home, took my med, started looking. I said be patient now!

Geez! That little NLW in the middle of the pic was marked “BC Milam and Son...Rustic #3”! That name was a holy grail for me! OK, almost done. It looked to be NPB, had that “coppery-brass” showing on it in several places. BUT, remembering Good Guy’s advice, I stuck it in a bowl of vinegar/water. After a couple hours, lo and behold, I could rub off a lot of the reddish color with my fingers! Went to the bathroom and took another blood pressure pill just to make sure! Soaked the reel overnight, and in the morning, all that reddish color was gone! Beautiful reel! Thank you Mr. Good Guy! And thank you ORCA website!

OK, question(s): the reel on the far left in that first pic is marked only “Jersey”. Any ID help on that one? Now it looks to be solid brass with a very even patina. Should I dowse that one in the bath- could it be NS, too? Can that bath damage nickel plate or brass?

Geez- this reel collecting is probably the most fun you can have sitting down!

Thanks all for your patience! Best--- JoeW
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Estate sale finds, question, and...

Post by wrong99 »

I don't know who made it, but it sure looks like a "left-hand" version. Very interesting.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

The Rustic #3 is German silver and made by Shakespeare. Nice find!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Nice lot!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thanks Paul & Don! I still enjoy the thrill of the field find and enjoy sharing. I don't usually even go to estate sales, but all the other million collectors locally must have been sleeping in on this one!

BTW- that Milam now has me liking those little NLW, NS reels! Man, the handles spin forever on them! So I'm keeping that one, and maybe the "Premier Tournament" just to the right of it in the group pic. Now I gotta find a Meek somewhere!

Best--- JoeW
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Dang it, Joe, I thought you were a committed spinning reel dude, not just another one of those guys that love reels that spin! :loco:
:mrgreen:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

LOL- Tom! I'm still collecting the spinners. More like hoarding them right now. I've added some of what I call "classic" spinning reels. I'm looking right now for some others- maybe a Pfl Pelican? Very interesting they different ways spinning reel makers designed the housing to accommodate all the gearing and shaft.

But I've always liked those NLW'ers! especially the better quality ones. Ya gotta appreciate the workmanship! I can't afford many of those, but I have been lucky recently with finding them in the rough!

Flea market/garage sale season ending up here. Long cold winter with few finds to expect. Have fun. Best--- JoeW