12/0 W.F. Hoerle Cradle / Union Hardware Co. Torrington, Conn.

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

12/0 W.F. Hoerle Cradle / Union Hardware Co. Torrington, Conn.

Post by 54bullseye »

I thought I would post this for all to see and I am hoping someone might run into more info than I can find ! A couple years back I purchased a 9/0 W.F. Hoerle cradle from ORCA member BAP-62. I liked it because I collect cradle reels and the fact it is from my area (I live in Mass.) and it was made in Torrington Conn. not to far from me !! I saw an old post from Brian and found he bought it off Ebay and the seller was from Ashford Conn. only 15 minuets from me ! That reel has a few miles on it seeing how Brian is in Oregon !! Anyway I recently purchased another W.F.Hoerle stamped cradle from another ORCA member only this is a bigger 12/0 cradle and it is also stamped with (Union Hardware Co. Torrington, Conn.). Brian told me he had found some patents with both Hoerle's name and Union Hardware Co. on them but he couldn't connect the 9/0 with Union Hardware Co. So this reel makes the connection.

The two reels have quite a lot in common notice how the butts connect. The ferrules are not same size but are designed just alike !! Also the front ferrule with the very coarse threads my one nut fits both cradles perfectly ! The grasps are both made of micarta and have same style spindle holding them on. There is no doubt these reel were made by the same guy !! The 12/0 is a BEAST of a reel !! The last four pictures show the similarities between the two.

Please if any one has ever seen others or might possibly have information on either style reel post it !!!   Thanks for looking.
John Taylor

I wanted to add that the 9/0 which I believe to be the older reel has a 1 to 1 ratio but the 12/0 has a 3 to 1 ratio pretty fast for an old reel.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: 12/0 W.F. Hoerle Cradle / Union Hardware Co. Torrington, Conn.

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No info help but those are darn cool reels, John!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Hi John, I have a 12/0 Hoerle Cradle reel with the butt and heavy rod with roller guides. It is very similar to yours. It has a wooden grip knob. The only reference I have ever found is a photo of the reel being fished. The photo is on page 193 of "All Seasons A Field With Rod and Gun" by Raymond Camp, copyright 1939. The photo shows Louis Mowbray of Bermuda, captain of the British Tuna Team in the 1937 International Tuna Matches. The reel photoed is identical to mine. The reel is massive with a very heavy cradle. The but attaches the same as yours. The name where it appears on your cradle top has been removed from mine. Would post photos if I could figure out how.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Jay
I would love to see pictures of your rig !!! Does it have any writing on it all ? Does the tip attach with a coarse thread and ferrule like mine ? You gotta figure out how to either post or send me pics of your rig you got me excited !!
Lol !! John B. tells me you have quite the collection. John Taylor
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Really nice photo set
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Hi John: just sent some photos to your email. If you want to post them on ORCA fill free. You can see where the name looks like it was filed off way back when.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Here are pictures of Jay's combo. It has aluminum plates wrapped around it I guess to make it stronger !! Looks like it's the same reel all the way. I guess they are out there ! Thanks Jay

I noticed that the ridge that runs all the way down the back of mine has been trimmed off from Jay's reel. Maybe so it sits better when not in rod holder ? John T.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Midway Tommy D wrote:No info help but those are darn cool reels, John!
Thanks Tom ! and also Ron !!
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

The 12/0 cleaned up nicely if that is the same reel as in the auction listing.
-steve
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You did a beautiful job on it, John! What a great add to your collection!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Steve that is same reel he must have posted pic by accident !! I guess I could have polished up side plates to take out scratches but the rest of the reel wouldn't have matched ! Lol . I think I like it as it is now. I probably should have sent it to ELDERCARE but it was a fun project ! Thanks John E.
John Taylor
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice reel John and a great job with the polishing! Spoke with a fellow closet collector about the Hoerle reel and association with Union Hardware. He said they were ONLY sold through hardware stores that sold Union Hardware tackle obviously and were special orders ONLY reels. Supposedly they were made upto size 14-0 and a photo does exist of Union Hardware tackle displayed in a larger coastal hardware store. Informations been very hard to get. If/when photos become available I'll be sure to send out to note. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Thanks Nick I really like the reel it went to the right person !! Any info you find would be greatly appreciated.
John Taylor
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great reels John and Jay and I'm sure someone will run down a little more history on them eventually. Jay's photo at least gives you guys a date to work with on the time line.
Thanks for sharing John, its always fun to find out about new big game reels!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

John and Jay, just mail them to me, thanks :-)