Silver Moth Fly Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Silver Moth Fly Reel

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Bought this Reel several years back on E-Bay. Arrived with broken internal parts. Didn't plan to use it so didn't bother to do anything with it. Then John Elder retired. Sent it to him to see what he could do, it came back better than new. The reel had no heart , no liver or gizzard, but when it come's to repairing reels, John is nothing short of a Wizard!!!! Thanks Deke.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Silver Moth Fly Reel

Post by Paul M »

Amen!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for the pats, Jon! It was a fun project with a good outcome...sometimes, not so much! :shock:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Photos from the Master!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

pretty cool little reel with a roller-bearing clutch
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Clutch? Roller bearing? I see what looks like a drag (of a design I don't think I've seen before) and a clicker. Ron, can you put some arrows on something so I can follow your thoughts, or otherwise explain? Thanks. Also, of what material was the broken, replaced part made?
Sid Lehr
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I've rebuilt several of these counting Precisionbilt Mosquito - never had to R/R a phenolic brake arm - they definitely have a roller bearing clutch inside the drag gear.
here you go, you can see the roller bearing quite well
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, the material they used is basically the stuff used for electronic circuit boards...pressed linen aka micarta. The modern version was used for the replacement. I made it a bit oversized in order to add strength so that the next ham hands that tries to over-tighten the drag won't break the drag arms again. I'm sure Jon would know better anyway! :D

Note:....the modern version of the pressed linen is sold as "Delrin" (OOPS....see below)
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Delrin is a great material, and less expensive than the phenolic. (no offense, but Delrin is not fiber-reinforced)
I used a Delrin bar to make a skeg mounting bracket on my daughter's kayak. The bar cost me $30, and the same bar in phenolic was twice the price. Denrin is also easier to work with basic tools (though I discovered it's hard enough you can't mill it with a drill bit - need a real end mill)
I calculated it would take a 250-lb load on the skeg to bend the bracket at the top mounting bolt, which is a pretty long lever. Delrin plastic is basically the same strength as aluminum pot metal.
Larry Valentine offers a Delrin gearset upgrade for his planetary fly reel, which I took advantage, and they're super-smooth, never need lube, and won't ever corrode.
Ron Kusse uses Delrin for the side plates (in place of ebonite) on his Leonard Mills
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

None taken, Ron....I mis-wrote....the material I used is a phenolic resin...modern version of micarta, now Delrin. Not sure there is a modern name for it. If you ask for micarta, this is the material that's available.

I think the confusion re the roller bearing is that most people envision a full roller bearing in a race when they hear that term. This just has the one bearing that acts as an anti-reverse. There's a name for it that was posted when i showed the workings of a one-off reel that employed three such bearings to do that action....have to dig for that post, unless someone recalls the term.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

roller-bearing clutches work well, but you have to lube them with a high-viscosity oil such as 30W or Phil Tenacious.
Marryat uses them in their 1980 design (3 cylindrical rollers), which is really very similar to this reel.

here's the starting place on McMaster for finding plastic
https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=1a2yywl
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, here tis: Dr Rob referred to this as an " Instant antireverse roller-ramp clutch"

That one was more elaborate,but served a similar role;

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

exact same idea - it rolls into a wedge and can't roll anymore - go the other direction and it's free.

Back to the phenolic- the advantage of the FRP composite is it has greater bending resistance in thinner sections, and also why I considered it on the kayak skeg bracket with my available mounting holes (the sealed well-nut holes were already there for a roller wheel - not that the 44 lb kayak needs a wheel).

If for some obtuse reason the skeg project interests you, and you have photobucket hotlink fix add-on for your Chrome or Firefox browser, here are the complete details on the skeg project -
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=176920
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:Sid, the material they used is basically the stuff used for electronic circuit boards...pressed linen aka micarta. The modern version was used for the replacement. I made it a bit oversized in order to add strength so that the next ham hands that tries to over-tighten the drag won't break the drag arms again. I'm sure Jon would know better anyway! :D

Note:....the modern version of the pressed linen is sold as "Delrin" (OOPS....see below)
Thanks, John. That's what it looks like, but I was having a brain fart and couldn't place it.... same stuff as the undergear washer in 40's and 50's Penn reels. Delrin has taken it's place also.
Sid Lehr
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's the closest thing in current materials - it's expensive
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8474k115/=1a3eo2v
had to pick a thickness to get the link, so I randomly picked 1/16"
but it's twice as strong as Delrin

Delrin in the same thickness, for comparison (and only 1/12 the sheet area - but it's available in smaller pieces)
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8575k111/=1a3epph
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Ron Mc wrote: here's the starting place on McMaster for finding plastic
https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=1a2yywl
No wonder I have so much trouble identifying what type of plastic/nylon/etc. is being used! :loco:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027