novel (to me) JVH adjustable drag

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
john elder
Star Board Poster

novel (to me) JVH adjustable drag

Post by john elder »

ORCAn Jeff Knapp was fortunate to acquire a really interesting 4/0 size Julius Vom Hofe reel recently, which he sent to me for a cleanup. I was so taken by it that I talked him into parting with it and it's now cleaned up and in my collection. What struck me was not only the size of the reel...larger than most JVH multipliers you normally run into other than later B Ocean reels... but also the unique drag setup on the back plate. The actual drag is a fairly typical arm that makes contact with the back of the spool to apply drag, but most are pretty much on or off, with the strength of the drag controlled by the thickness of the drag pad and the tweeking of the spring plate underneath to determine the amount of pressure applied to the spool. This one has a second lever...an arrow, in fact...that rotates in a semi-circle to various marked settings, which in turn causes a bar on the inside of the back plate to adjust the starting height of the drag arm. Thus, when the arrow is at one extreme, putting on the drag applies virtually no drag; when at the other extreme, some drag is applied even when the drag lever is in the off position. Has anyone seen this configuration in another JVH reel?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: novel (to me) JVH adjustable drag

Post by Ron Mc »

innovative and typical of Julius, and a Great collectible.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Very cool drag design! John, there is a small mark near the base of the arrow lever - similar to the marks near the tip of the arrow - any idea if that has a purpose?

Also, would this have been Julius senior or junior? I often have difficulty determining which is which....
Sid Lehr
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

It's a new one on me. Nice reel!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Not sure about that dot, Sid! It's on the "no-drag" side, so possibly that's what it indicates.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Great reel John! I have never seen one set up like that!