Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Super Board Poster
I recently picked up a nice early, gold, 6/0, Type I Kovalovsky reel with the fixed front drag cover and the name tag on the rear sideplate. I added a few photos of it having a reunion with some of its little friends from California. I hope you enjoy them!

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Those are beautiful reels, Ed.

Mike N

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:24 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
ED
What is the story with the reel with the holes in the grasp a later version ? Was it made by his son ? Beautiful bunch of reels !!
John Taylor

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 am 
Star Board Poster
Very nice, Ed! Very jealous! What is small? 4/0 size or smaller yet?

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:33 am 
Super Board Poster
John T,

54bullseye wrote:What is the story with the reel with the holes in the grasp a later version ? Was it made by his son ? Beautiful bunch of reels !!

This reel is marked Kovalovsky 300 - N. Hollywood California and is a later reel built by both Arthur and Oscar. There is a photo of Oscar holding a similar reel in the Kovalovsky book by Rick and Phil on page 55. On page 62 there is a close-up of the reel that Oscar is holding on page 55 stating that it was Oscar's personal 6/0 big game reel. My reel is not the reel in the book but it is identical so there was more than one of these reels built. My reel is stamped on the foot 6/0 - 500 YDS. #9 thread on the foot. The reel was most likely built in the late 40's or early 50's.

John E.,

john elder wrote:What is small? 4/0 size or smaller yet?

The three gold reels are all the same size and therefore all 6/0 reels. The small Micarta Type I reel is stamped 3/0 on the foot. I believe that there are other collectors in the big game collecting community that have Kovalovsky reels even smaller.

CHALLANGE - Wouldn't it be fun if collectors with Kovalovsky reels 6/0 or smaller posted pictures of their reels here in this post. Using 6/0 as the maximum size, let's see how many different models and sizes below a 6/0 are out there.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:54 am 
Super Board Poster
To get the ball rolling here are a few that I have had the pleasure to own over the years.

~ Hard Rubber Standard Model Type II - 3/0 - (I have also owned this reel in a 6/0 size)

~ Grey Anodized Standard Model Type II - 6/0

~ Blue Anodized Standard Model Type II - 6/0

~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0

~ Drag Through Pillar Model - 6/0

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:00 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
The "~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0 " looks like the one the guy keeps posting on ebay that he wants a one time payment for !!!! I haven't seen it lately but for a while it was every other day !

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:03 pm 
Super Board Poster
54bullseye wrote:The "~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0 " looks like the one the guy keeps posting on ebay that he wants a one time payment for !!!! I haven't seen it lately but for a while it was every other day !

Good catch, I sold that reel on e-bay several years ago when I found one in better condition and some unscrupulous idiot has been listing it for sale on e-bay now for years.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am 
Star Board Poster
this thread is a droolfest

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 am 
Super Board Poster
Nice !

Dean.