A handful of little Kovalovsky Reels

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

A handful of little Kovalovsky Reels

Post by reeltackle »

I recently picked up a nice early, gold, 6/0, Type I Kovalovsky reel with the fixed front drag cover and the name tag on the rear sideplate. I added a few photos of it having a reunion with some of its little friends from California. I hope you enjoy them!

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: A handful of little Kovalovsky Reels

Post by Mike N »

Those are beautiful reels, Ed.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

ED
What is the story with the reel with the holes in the grasp a later version ? Was it made by his son ? Beautiful bunch of reels !!
John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Very nice, Ed! Very jealous! What is small? 4/0 size or smaller yet?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

John T,
54bullseye wrote:What is the story with the reel with the holes in the grasp a later version ? Was it made by his son ? Beautiful bunch of reels !!
This reel is marked Kovalovsky 300 - N. Hollywood California and is a later reel built by both Arthur and Oscar. There is a photo of Oscar holding a similar reel in the Kovalovsky book by Rick and Phil on page 55. On page 62 there is a close-up of the reel that Oscar is holding on page 55 stating that it was Oscar's personal 6/0 big game reel. My reel is not the reel in the book but it is identical so there was more than one of these reels built. My reel is stamped on the foot 6/0 - 500 YDS. #9 thread on the foot. The reel was most likely built in the late 40's or early 50's.

John E.,
john elder wrote:What is small? 4/0 size or smaller yet?
The three gold reels are all the same size and therefore all 6/0 reels. The small Micarta Type I reel is stamped 3/0 on the foot. I believe that there are other collectors in the big game collecting community that have Kovalovsky reels even smaller.

CHALLANGE - Wouldn't it be fun if collectors with Kovalovsky reels 6/0 or smaller posted pictures of their reels here in this post. Using 6/0 as the maximum size, let's see how many different models and sizes below a 6/0 are out there.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

To get the ball rolling here are a few that I have had the pleasure to own over the years.

~ Hard Rubber Standard Model Type II - 3/0 - (I have also owned this reel in a 6/0 size)

~ Grey Anodized Standard Model Type II - 6/0

~ Blue Anodized Standard Model Type II - 6/0

~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0

~ Drag Through Pillar Model - 6/0

Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

The "~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0 " looks like the one the guy keeps posting on ebay that he wants a one time payment for !!!! I haven't seen it lately but for a while it was every other day !
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

54bullseye wrote:The "~ Gold Anodized Standard Model Type I - 6/0 " looks like the one the guy keeps posting on ebay that he wants a one time payment for !!!! I haven't seen it lately but for a while it was every other day !
Good catch, I sold that reel on e-bay several years ago when I found one in better condition and some unscrupulous idiot has been listing it for sale on e-bay now for years.
Ed Pritchard
Honorary Life Member

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

this thread is a droolfest
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/