trying this for the first time

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

trying this for the first time

Post by busterboy »

Here is the first Ambassadeur I found
Buster Cowton :usa
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: trying this for the first time

Post by john elder »

That works, BB, but you can get the pic to show directly in your post by clicking:

-image upload
-add files (pick and add)
-hit "upload all"
-When urls show, just click on the regular (bottom one) or thumbnail and it will be in your post when you submit!

nice ambassadeur, BTW! Great reels and a seriously long road for a collection!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Fixed it up a bit. Nice find, keep it up.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks for the assist. I searched though a lot of shots before I found one small enough to post. I have been lurking here for too long. I only recently admitted that I was collecting reels. My wife has conceded and bought me a membership for Christmas. My collection is rather diverse and except for the Record Ambassadeur 6000 fairly common stuff. A reel that has some sentimental value is an HI Ocean Pride 250 yd. My granddad took me fishing in Long Island Sound for the first time when I was 12. We were bottom bouncing for flounder. Fishing was slow and I was bored. The handle screw was loose and I got fiddling with it. It came off amd fell through the floor boards in the old wooden skiff we had rented. I couldn't get the screw back and Granddad was mad. That was in 1965 and I still haven't found a replacement screw, but the handle is still on the reel.

Busterboy
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

BB, you should use your real name, now that you are a member and tell us a bit about yourself. That can lead to a lot of nice additions to your collection and that screw you've needed for appr 50 years!

Re pic size, if you open in Preview on your computer, there is a tool bar you can open that has a sizing function...give a try!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks John, I am not very tech savy, even though i've had a desk job working on a computer for the last 20+ years. I guess I'll go to one of the othe forums and introduce myself to the rest of the club.

Stan "Buster" Cowton
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

BTW the HI is a 150 Ocean Pride not 250

Stan
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Hi Stan,
Welcome to the club. You will really enjoy the members and learning from our experts. I hope you come to the annual meeting in June at Harpers Ferry. It is the best way to meet people who will become your friends and have fun learning together.
Betty
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

BTW - That is a pretty good Ambassadeur 6000 with 4 screws and the Record logo. You should show that to Vic Koury.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Vic.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Vic. »

The screw you are missing if it's for your record 6000 I would be happy to help you or if you have any questions regarding your Ambassadeur happy to help. Beautiful Reel you have :D
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks Vic, that reel is intact. I went looking for an Ambassadeur to teach my self how to use one. I now have 11 Ambassadeurs. Most of my collection is mid-twentieth century spinning or baitcast reels. I have a Levelmatic 930 and several other Penn reels.

The screw I lost many years ago is for a Horrocks Ibbotson Ocean Pride 150 handle.

By way of introduction, I'm Stan "Buster" Cowton. I live in SE Michigan with my wife and daughter, the lawyer. We moved to Michigan about 25 years ago for my work with an environmental consultant. When my boss there asked me to take a month off without pay, I got a job with the government. My wife works for the State of Michigan.

A very good friend of mine gave me a box of barn find reels in 2011. there were 4 reeels that were found in a massive mouse nest. that box of reels spent 3 years airing out in my garage before I got the nerve to open it again and see what I had. It turned out to be a Bache Browne Airex Spinster in its box with all of the paperwork, an unmarked 60 yard multiplier, an Ocean City 1500 in a Langley Spincast 500 box. The instruction sheet for the OC was in the box also. The last reel turned out to be a Bronson Lion LW 1800. That reel at least needs a pawl to get the LW working again. The multiplier is a Hendryx. I discovered that fact after looking closely at a picture I took of it to send to some one for ID. You can barely make out the name on the foot. I have very few reels that do not require some ort of TLC to bring them back from the bone yard. I am partial to almost any kind of reel, especially those that have been used but are still functional. To me, they are survivors more than reels that have spent their lives lost in a box or the bottom of an unused tackle box.

When not at work or collecting reels, I take care of about 50 house plants, some of which my wife had when I met her in 1985. I also garden and keep turtles and tortoises.

Since I was a small boy I've been called Buster since I was named after my Dad. I hated as a youngster but grew into it in college.

too much for now, I neeed to get some chores done around here.

Thanks for the welcome, Buster

In my next post I'll let you folks know who I've encountered so far that are ORCAns