Grandpa's old reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
joeyeakey
Big ORCA Fan

Grandpa's old reel

Post by joeyeakey »

Hello reel enthusiasts! I am excited to share this. I found this while going thru my grandpa's old fishing gear. I don't if know if he used it much. It was wrapped in an old wash rag. It works nicer than my new zebco! Very smooth. Any care advice would be awesome(oiling gears, etc...)

Thank you for checking out my new, vintage reel!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Grandpa's old reel

Post by john elder »

Pics, please....the reel, I mean...we know about oily rags! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
joeyeakey
Big ORCA Fan

Post by joeyeakey »

sorry, I thought I did. I'll try again
joeyeakey
Big ORCA Fan

Post by joeyeakey »

joeyeakey
Big ORCA Fan

Post by joeyeakey »

joeyeakey
Big ORCA Fan

Post by joeyeakey »

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good job! These are referred to as spin cast reels and saved grandpa from a lot of backlashes with his old baitcaster. Great reels to fish and if complete in that condition with box and paperwork, has some value to a segment of collectors. As it is, it's worth more as a family momento than on eBay. Save it and take granpa's great grandkids fishing with it!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

not worth a lot of money to someone else, but for you to take fishing is about as cool as it gets. Probably want new line.
It would be nice on a light fiberglass spincast rod like a new Eagle Claw Featherlight with about 6-lb. line.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... 00&bih=794

light oil (machine oil, 3-in-1, etc.) on handle bushing - remove handle to see it
and if you remove the line cap, and push the casting button, on the flyer spindle behind the line/spool back
If you do get into gears, they would need light grease, and probably first remove the old grease with a light solvent like mineral spirits or denatured alcohol and a q-tip. (nothing strong like acetone or methylene chloride, esp)
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Here is a similar reel (different model) in similar shape for a rough idea of the value to someone whose grandfather didn't own it.
Sid Lehr
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Another Great Reel from a now defunct Japanese Company who incidentally also made surf reels,ocean reels ,and Rods .
Hang on to it as it and other older Japanese Builders will only appreciate in the future.