Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm 
Super Board Poster
Nice reel !!!

What size is it ?

I have the same reel in a #3 and it looks larger than yours. Diameter is 2.25" with the pillars.

Dean.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:34 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
No number stamp. 2.25" pillar to pillar. Every now and then I have to take it out to get a reality check on old school quality.

Here's another that is stamped #5 with same foot parked next to a 150yd monte or us net twine.

lets see more

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm 
Super Board Poster
I guess we like the same reels.

Here is my #5 JVH ...

And since you seem to like JVH, here's a another pretty one ...

Dean.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
While were on the subject here's a couple of little guys that have me stumped. Any ideas? Hendrick/Star reel co, Malleson? I'm at a loss. Both are nicely made plated reels. Bearing caps may not be correct - I'm sure on the hard rubber reel because it was missing and had to make do with what I had lying around.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
The bearing caps are correct. I have had an example of the reel with the hard rubber and it had the same bearing cap.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:05 am 
Star Board Poster
Well, now that i’m on a fixed income :shock: , i thought it worth saying that you can have a ball collecting fly reels without spending the crazy money for reels like those shown above. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not ready to kick the ones i paid stupid money for out of the cave, but they share space with a panoply of fly reels that i accumulated, mostly for less than 100 bucks. Below are many that I have picked up, including one that I got last week... its a Shakespeare Kazoo... have had numerous Kazoos that were narrow spool reels, but this is the wide(1 3/4”) 1877 Kazoo. Below are pics of many others that will never subsidize social security, but will make for great entertainment at the Home :D

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:15 am 
Star Board Poster
Well, now that i’m on a fixed income :shock: ,
And for those of us on broken incomes:

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I want to play! Here is a photo that I sent to Paul a while back for the Facebook page.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 pm 
Reel Talk Member
ORCA President
Ron,
You have some Holy Grail of fly reel material there!

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
Not all fly reels have to be heavy hitters to be desirable. Here's a 200 yd Hendryx picked up today that just needed a little TCL to get working perfectly. You just don't see this size very often. It's not mint but that's fine because I can use it with no worries. It's not the highest end Hendryx fly reel but is just a step or 2 away. I love it and can't wait to take it for a spin. Reel will hold a DT4 to WF6 no problem plus backing so I don't have to worry about capacity issues with modern lines. Pictured next to the smaller Bougle it's only slightly larger in diameter. She's gonna be screaming this spring.

Tx, Low Profile

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:38 am 
Super Board Poster
LP - It was great meeting you yesterday, always nice to be able to put a face with the name. Nice score on that Hendryx, you'll have to share some of the catches made using it - Andrew B. would be very happy to know his reels still catch fish!
Jim

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
Jim,

Very nice meeting you at the show and your display of those early side mount reels was awesome. I'll definitely post some pics this spring/summer of the Hendryx in action. Just gotta find a rod it will fit on. Reel seat is a full 3" long and gonna have to dig deep into the pile to find one with a seat that will accept the reel. Not going to shorten the foot so I might have to make a rod specific for the reel. Tight lines.

Low Profile