My best Christmas present !! Nep-Tuna !!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

My best Christmas present !! Nep-Tuna !!

Post by 54bullseye »

Around 3 years ago I came upon this neat set of 4 Nep-Tuna trolling lures on eBay and I wanted them bad as I collect cradle reels and rods. So the bidding began and I came out 2nd high bidder !@#%^%$# About that same time I met a now good friend of mine Doug who is a member of both ORCA and Alan Tani's board. We met through the internet as we had similar interests in vintage big game fishing gear and other antique collectibles. My girlfriend and I have visited Doug and his wife a couple times now once for a meet and greet and another time for deer hunting down in Maryland.

In talking on the phone with Doug one day I found out that it was him who had out bid me on those Nep-Tuna trolling lures and we both laughed on how much money he could have saved had we known we were the only two bidders !!! By the way they came from another ORCA member from Hawaii.

Well while on a visit Doug said I could pick one of the lures to bring home as a gift and I picked the only jointed lure in the bunch ! Well he cussed me for it but it came home to Massachusetts with me !!!

So yesterday my girlfriend gave me a present and as I opened it up I was thinking to myself "did she get me some Striper plugs as they were wrapped in ziplock bags" but to my surprise it was the rest of the set of Nep-Tuna trolling lures I had bid on a few years prior !! She had remembered how much I wanted them and Doug knowing my love for Nep-Tuna cradles, rods, and anything else they made figured that I was the one who should own them so he sold them to Brenda !!!

My best Christmas present !!! John Taylor

PS Has any one out there every seen others similar or maybe know what company might have made them for Nep-Tuna ?? Both Doug and I think possibly Seven Strand ??? Any info would be great.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My best Christmas present !! Nep-Tuna !!

Post by john elder »

beautiful! I remember those! Nice of Doug to free them up....congrats and enjoy, John!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Very glad you ended up with them, John, although I think it wasn't that long ago lol. Doug's a great guy. Recall seeing another set of Neptuna lures along the way that i didnt get but don't remember much else. I sold another set of knuckleheads and they were from Sevenstrand but made of more nylon type material. Those seemed to be wood?
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Brian F. wrote:Very glad you ended up with them, John, although I think it wasn't that long ago lol. Doug's a great guy. Recall seeing another set of Neptuna lures along the way that i didnt get but don't remember much else. I sold another set of knuckleheads and they were from Sevenstrand but made of more nylon type material. Those seemed to be wood?
Hi Brian !
Yeah it might have been two years not quite sure. I posted same thing on Alan Tani's board and found some info on who made the lures. Check it out !! I am glad to have them. Would you mind sharing how or where you got them ? Thanks ! John Taylor

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23805.0
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great, John, the paint job does look like Martin, now that you compare them. I missed the name on that one completely. Sorry, I don't recall where I got them exactly but looks like eBay from my records. I recall I had done an article for a local fishing magazine that was about knucklehead lures that a guy here patented in the 1950s and then sold to Sevenstrand. So when I saw the Nep-Tunas, I picked them up because they were reel-related.

Happy New Year to you, John!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Brian F. wrote:Great, John, the paint job does look like Martin, now that you compare them. I missed the name on that one completely. Sorry, I don't recall where I got them exactly but looks like eBay from my records. I recall I had done an article for a local fishing magazine that was about knucklehead lures that a guy here patented in the 1950s and then sold to Sevenstrand. So when I saw the Nep-Tunas, I picked them up because they were reel-related.
Thanks Brian !! Happy New Year !
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s a great Christmas story!

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Very cool lures John, congratulations. Doug is a great guy for sure.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

Doug's a true gentleman collector, for sure! And good on Brenda for following up with Doug and getting those lures for you! That woman is a saint. Please tell me you are not going to display the lures in her kitchen!!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

What's wrong with fishing gear in the kitchen ? It keeps my deer heads company ! She is a good girl and puts up with a lot. Thanks all for complements ! Also thanks Doug for letting the Nep-Tuna lures go. John Taylor