My First Medalist

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

My First Medalist

Post by Tightlines666 »

I got a great deal on my first Pflueger Medalist. The reel had line on it, but as I suspected, it had the sculptured pillar, spool cage underneith. It also has riveted sculptured pillars, round diamolite line guard, double pawls, and is the satin grey color. The foot is not damaged, and the paint appears to be in relatively good overall condition, though it is worn/on the tail plate, and edge. The pawls, foot, and other parts show very little wear. I suspect she will clean up rather nicely. For now, I think I will leave it in 'as found' dusty barn find condition.

Given the real's features, I suspect this is a ca. 1931-35.

I hadn't typically collected fly reels, but I have always wanted one of these, and felt my Pflueger Hawkeye 100yd model needed some company.

John
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My First Medalist

Post by john elder »

Nice early reel, John! Highly prized as both a collectible and a reels that's still fine to fish! Nice score!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

John,
Are you sure the reel is painted black and not the satin gun metal finish on the early Medalists? I think a light cleaning would really improve the appearance and function of the reel.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Ray Hencken wrote:John,
Are you sure the reel is painted black and not the satin gun metal finish on the early Medalists? I think a light cleaning would really improve the appearance and function of the reel.
It appears to have the satin gun metal finish to me. I have been too busy offshore fishing, and now I am heading to the Big Island for a week of Turkey Hunting to give the reel any attention. I will try to get to it in another week or two once I get back.

John
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Tightlines,

These pics should give you a side by side comparison of painted versus gunmetal versions (gunmetal in center) and I would give that reel a nice cleaning and lube job and enjoy. I very much like early medalist reels and yours is a rare early reel.

Low Profile