H.L. Leonard Bimetal Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

H.L. Leonard Bimetal Reel

Post by RonG »

Here's an interesting Leonard reel. The reel has an aluminum spool and is marked as a number "5" size reel on it's foot. I was under the impression that the Julius vom Hofe reels marked "H.L. Leonard" had a German silver foot with a hole in it. This reel also has a flat back plate and a tiny bearing cap which I hadn't seen before. Does anyone else have a reel like this that can share?

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: H.L. Leonard Bimetal Reel

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Ron.

That is a second model, which is differentiated from the third by the brass foot and crank, both of which are nickel silver on the third model.

Here is a third model (left) and a second model ...

I have had a reel like your's once, with a brass foot and no hole.

Please excuse the pictures ...this was long before digital photography ...

Note the reel also had a click switch. That's rarely seen on a BiMetal.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I think that the screw securing the handle crank is atypical for Leonard Bi-metals. However, I have seen that screw used on some of the hard rubber Leonard Fairy fly reels.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I used to have one like yours. It does seem to be less common than the other variations.