What would this be used for?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Reeltyme

What would this be used for?

Post by Reeltyme »

Bought this on the “bay”. Just had to have it. Just don’t know what it’s use was! Anybody know? The fly reel gives you an idea of the size. It came from central N.Y. Tuna? Sharks? With a detachable pole like an old style/ pre harpoon setup? Thanks for looking! By the way, the chain I know is an add on.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: What would this be used for?

Post by 54bullseye »

I believe it's a flying gaff. Connects to a long handle and after you gaff the "big fish" you release the handle and there is a rope connected to the big gaff hook so you can pull them in with out handle flopping around !! It is a little different than most I have seen. Looks scary !!!! John Taylor
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks John. The barb was throwing me off. The gaff part I get. Could it have been modified, even though it looks original in the state it’s in or is that the way they are/were made? The trout and bass I have fished for don’t quite require this magnitude of equipment.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

The tip of the hook and barb aren't like any I have seen before ?? John
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

The idea behind the flying gaff is that you can maintain tension on the hook with rope better than if the hook were attached to the stick like a normal gaff. The barb is unusual but you never know how it might have been actually used or they just wanted additional peace of mind. The chain looks a little weak in comparison to the rest of the rig.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thanks Brian. I have to believe that the chain was an add on to maybe hang it up for display as the piece came from central New York where I’m quite sure it served no actual use. Anyway, the chain has been removed and it now hangs in my collection of “stuff”! I needed more stuff! This thing is quite intimidating to look at! I almost feel sorry for the fish it was used on.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Looks like a one-off. Way back when I shark fished with some civil servants who worked at the local naval yard. They had access to lots of stainless stock, stainless welders, machine shop, etc. and were always making stuff like that when nobody was looking. Agreed the angles are unusual, but they may also be very effective. Not for catch and release.
-steve