Custom modified Meisselbach Takapart 481 Freespool

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Custom modified Meisselbach Takapart 481 Freespool

Post by spadej1 »

I just picked this up and thought it was worth sharing. I probably paid a few dollars more than I should have but I’m always jealous of the custom reels shared around here. It’s a Takapart with the top pillar removed and a custom drag built into it’s place. I’m not sure that its working properly as is, so I will have to try to put it back together properly. I haven’t had one of these before but I think the freespool clutch is missing a spring too, possibly on purpose. It only engages the spool when you smack the handle pretty good. Anything less and it just stays in freespool.

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Custom modified Meisselbach Takapart 481 Freespool

Post by Don Champion »

It would appear that you are missing the spring that goes around the pinion gear and hooks on the post on the back of the front plate. There ate two styles of spring. Either one would work.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

From what I found that is correct. I’m not sure if it was intentionally removed or not. I figure thats the reason why it is so difficult to engage from freespool. Whoever made the modifications may have preferred that.
-James-
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I had a few spare minutes so I took it apart to look at that custom add-on to see what went wrong. It seems that the spring bar was on the wrong side of the pin, and now moving the pointed needle on the rear plate activates the bar on the drum soldered to the spool. I’m not sure if it’s an anti-backlash or a drag but it works as both. When you push the arrow, it also keeps the freespool from activating since the clutch spring is missing. A bit awkward to use but a clever little modification either way.

-James-