Just acquired this brass and Ebonite reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
john elder
Star Board Poster

Just acquired this brass and Ebonite reel

Post by john elder »

Made it back from Maine with this little brass and ebonite reel with NS rims and bone handle...just too neat and cute to leave with the Maine-iacs :D . It has no markings, as happens so often with this type of reel, but I decided to go browse through Graham Turner's book anyway, to see what I might find. I found one that was nearly identical that was marked as made by Gillett, somewhere between 1886-1906. If he didn't make this one, someone was certainly looking over his shoulder!...but then, they seemed to have done that a lot. Anyone else have a similar reel in this configuration? Note the inner sides of the side plates are also ebonite.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Just acquired this brass and Ebonite reel

Post by 54bullseye »

John where the heck did you find that up at Tim Pond there is nothing there ? Lol !!! Did you get it a Pines Market in Eustis Lol !!! JT
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Just acquired this brass and Ebonite reel

Post by john elder »

Ha! Yeah, there was a whole bin of them next to the Doodle Bugs! :D ...Eric Thoresen brought this little gem along for our show-and-tell/trades/sales action that goes along with the fishing at Tim...a great time was had by all, in spite of slow fishing this year...thanks much, Eric!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures