Pflueger Reel Extention

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Tom Clayton
Frequent Board Poster

Pflueger Reel Extention

Post by Tom Clayton »

Hi Everyone,
I just picked this reel up at the NFLCC National Show. Does anyone know if this a kit or homemade extension on this Everlaster? I guess I could tell by taking off the line to see what the spool looks like; but right now I’m just enjoying looking at it the way it is.
Thanks Tom

Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Reel Extention

Post by Bill Muth »

Fascinating! Are the foot pillar extensions connected to the foot at all? In the third pic it looks like they are not secured to the foot.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Tom Clayton
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom Clayton »

Bill,
Yes, everything is attached exactly the way it should be. The extension increases the width approximately three inches. It is a truly interesting piece.......
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I'm pretty sure it's a homemade extension. I've never heard of a kit being sold for older reels except for Newell kits for Penn reels beginning in the '70s. Someone using that must have had a heck of a time holding the reel level with the foot offset like that. Why not just center it?
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I'm seeing a homemade extension.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat piece, Tom! So, presumably, if you pull that line off the spool, you'll see how they added a spacer to the old spool as well. They left it offset to keep the reel from torquing when they cranked it. With that wide base, it would have gotten a bit twisty on retrieve under load, I would think!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tom Clayton
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom Clayton »

You know guys, the more I look at this reel I believe whomever owned the reel left the foot in that position intentionally and extended the reel enough to the left so that the reel would balance on the forearm of the user while holding the rod. That would help eliminate twisting.
Well, check back in a few days because it has me so curious now the line has to come off I can always but it back on.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

No kit. Homemade. But well done. I have seen another Pflueger SW widened like that-the spool thing is the challenge. Let us see it when you remove the line.

PS: some ORCAns believe line should be left off to prevent continuing deterioration of the spool from all sorts of crud. But-Hey! It's your reel and if you like the line on (I do too on some models) leave it!

Aloha! Bad Bob