Har-Lee "Wedgeport" 26 oz tip

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Har-Lee "Wedgeport" 26 oz tip

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John Taylor here. I wanted to seek information on a neat old Big Game rod tip I found very close to home in central Mass. It is one of the biggest and most rugged wooden tips I have seen it has large Allen "I believe" roller guides and it is solid wood and square in shape top edges are pretty square bottom edges are slightly rounded. It is solid wood not laminated and to me doesn't look like Hickory but I could be wrong about that ? Don't know what other wood it would be being solid ? The roller tip was off and wired to one of the guides I believe it's a Lee's top you will see it above the rod in picture with another Lee's tip that doesn't fit and that's a # 30 !!!!! I did some searches best I could in my novice computer way and didn't come up with much at all. Has any one seen a big Har-Lee tip like this one ?? Any help would be great !! Also I would like to find a Giant Lee's roller top for it if any one might know of one. It came with wrong reel seat some one cut to try and fit it but not right so I would also like to find a butt or at least reel seat for it. Last two pics are dimensions of tip and male ferrule. Thanks for looking !!! John Taylor
PS I wanted to add that v notch on ferrule looks like Vom Hofe ferrules but I tried it on a 12/0 cradle to small and 14/0 cradle too big. My Bimini King butts are to big. Also notice how rugged all wraps are they are all double wrapped !

oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Har-Lee "Wedgeport" 26 oz tip

Post by oc1 »

Looks like bethabara wood to me John. The modern trade name is ipe wood from the yellow trumpet tree, Handroanthus serratifolius.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23503.0

Is that braided leather on the fore grip?
-steve
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Har-Lee "Wedgeport" 26 oz tip

Post by 54bullseye »

oc1 wrote:Looks like bethabara wood to me John. The modern trade name is ipe wood from the yellow trumpet tree, Handroanthus serratifolius.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23503.0

Is that braided leather on the fore grip?
-steve

Thanks for getting back to me Steve !!! I remember that Tani post now and you could be right !
That fore grip is like a rubbery material that was molded into that look not leather. It is a cool rod I hope I can find a reel seat that fits !! John Taylor