Meek & Milam No. 1 Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

Meek & Milam No. 1 Reel

Post by RonG »

I recently purchased the Meek & Milam reel for sale on the board. It turns out that the owner lived only about one hour drive from me. When I got the reel, boy was I surprised. It turns out the reel is a brass reel with German silver screws and buttons. The surprise part is that the reel is gold plated. The plating is worn off in spots but still retains most of it. Below is a comparison of the reel to another brass Meek & Milam No.1. The other photos are of the gold plated reel. This is the first gold plated KY reel I've seen.

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Meek & Milam No. 1 Reel

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice !

I think you beat several of us to that one !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Glad the reel stayed in the family, Ron....nothing like home field advantage, as I can attest!

I have to admit that I'm not sure I'd recognize gold plating if I saw it! The first thought I would have is that it has been overcoated with something, but I think gold would be well down the list. You'd think if they went to that trouble/expense, it would have been a monogrammed gift or prize!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Congrats Ron!
You'd think if they went to that trouble/expense, it would have been a monogrammed gift or prize!
John - you'd think that, but I know of two gold wash Billinghurst reels, and at one time I owned a tiny 25 yard NY ball handle reel that was gold plated (it was missing a screw-off end cap on the tail plate, and I knew I'd never find one so I traded it away). None were presentation marked. Even more "contemporary" Kentucky reels such as Talbot have been gold plated, with no marks over and above the factory model/name stamp. Kinda like this model No. 30 Heddon reel:
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Is it proposed that the makers did the gold plating or is it more likely that it was done by exuberant folks with connections to jewelry manufacture? I gotta look into this! I suppose the process is the same as for nickel plating...just need the appropriate solution for it.

thanks!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

John,
I'm willing to bet its both. Well known makers such as Orvis were advertising "Heavy Gold Plate" reels as early as 1876, and in fact one was offered on eBay not that long ago. Makers like Billinghurst, Charles Clinton and other upstate NY makers provided special reels as casting contest prizes, some personalized, most not, and even Abbey & Imbrie brought a special gold presentation outfit to the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philly. Certainly not all were factory, as you mentioned if a tradesman had the tools or material to gold plate a reel for a customer that wanted one done, I'm sure they complied. (Thanks to Ron Gast for the photo link above)
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I’m glad you got that reel, Ron, especially given its local connection. The only thing better than a brass reel, is a gold plated brass reel with German silver parts.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I recall seeing a gold-plated kentucky made reel, but don't remember the context, will have to search now that RonG says he has not seen another. I also don't recall whether it was thought to be redone.

I consider brass reels with german silver parts to be a "normal variation", that is, neither rare nor common. I wonder if others have any different perspective. Here is a number 2 from my collection.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle