Unusual Rod & Reel Combo Find!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Ran out to a small nearby flea market last week. Trip was almost a washout until I saw what this was! It was sitting with the reel facing away and I had passed it over once just thinking it was a muskrat skin stretcher, a child’s ironing board, or a paddle. On my way out, I turned it over out of curiosity and lookee what I found! What a piece of work!

The “rod” is a 1” thick plank, 4” at the wide end, tapered to 1” at the small end. About 40” long.The “taper” was probably carefully designed to provide “action” (or maybe not!). The “handle” is from an old saw obviously. The “tip-top” is a small pulley. There’s a screw eye in the underside of the rod and for the life of me, I can’t figure out what it was for! To secure it with a rope to the boat or pier? Really?

The reel frame is steel, reinforced with some galvanized metal over the top. Spool made from 1/2” thick masonite. Maybe originally this was a spool for wire, cable, or cord? The sides of the spool seem to have had an old paper label on them? Secured underneath to the rod with four big wood screws. Crank is steel, nicely counterbalanced with a chunk of lead at the one end. Knob looks like it came from an old pot lid. No click or drag. Came fully loaded with 40-50 pound test mono that’s stiff and wiry. Not really too much here that says artistic or delicate. It does work, though!

OK, you saw it coming, didn’t you! What the heck was this used for! The flea market dealer said it came from an auction here in Western NY, on the shores of Lake Erie, near Chautauqua Lake.

Kind of reminds me of an ice fishing tip-up, although I’ve never seen one this huge! Lake Erie used to have a big population of Sturgeon and I know they netted and speared them but didn’t think they fished for them? Giant Muskies? Was it used with a grapple for salvage? And what’s that screweye on the bottom for!

Hey- it IS single action- maybe it was a fly fishing outfit?

Would like to hear any ideas you might come up with. You’re a pretty analytical bunch here with a lot of insight and I'm looking forward to your replies! Going into my handmade reel collection. Just for fun! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Unusual Rod & Reel Combo Find!

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Looks like a home made ice fishing setup to me. The eye under the reel/rod would be a hook keeper, since the line would be going over the pulley.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027