50's Penn 10/0 & Bamboo Pole???

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
DC_Photog
Frequent Board Poster

50's Penn 10/0 & Bamboo Pole???

Post by DC_Photog »

I found this combo from a man who was selling his Dad's rod & reel. The man was about 65-70 and his Dad last used it in 1986 when he past away. I drove about 45 min. to meet him and when I held the combo I knew it was worth the drive. His Dad never used navigation or a fish finder, but always brought home a huge mess of fish. He said his Dad came home one time with a Goliath Grouper (aka Jewfish) that was over 200#'s and that he let one go on the same day that was much bigger. He wrote me yesterday to tell me he's going to send me a pic of his Dad with a big grouper that he caught with his "Good Ole Trusty", which is what his Dad called the setup. He also said his Dad would have neighborhood fish fries and supply all the grouper for everybody, and it was alway a big hit. Anyways, I was told this reel is from the 50's from a Penn guru, but don't know much about the rod other that the man said he thought it was made out of bamboo. It's super-strong and is flat on the top-side of the rod, but rounded on the bottom. Let me know your thoughts on the setup, but especially any info on the rod you might have. Btw, there's no markings on the rod. Thank you for looking! Darin
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: 50's Penn 10/0 & Bamboo Pole???

Post by m3040c »

The reel looks like a 1950's Penn Senator. They are common. The rod is hard to say much about. The guides look common. Someone may recognize the roller tip, I do not. Seems like a solid wood rod, maybe hickory. I would say the rod is much older than the reel.

The story that goes with the rod and reel is great. Sounds like some thing that should stay with the family simply for the memories it has.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food