Fin - Nor some more

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
butch carey key west
Advanced Board Poster

Fin - Nor some more

Post by butch carey key west »

I think the Tri-Gear deserves a shot

Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Fin - Nor some more

Post by Jay White »

Never seen that one before. Neat Reel!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Butch...where is the shifter? or does or shift automatically.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

The tri-gear idea was brought to Fin-Nor by Steve Zuckerman, a California big game angler. Fin-Nor tried as they might but could not figure a way to make the tri-gear work.
Zuckerman and Fin-Nor turned Oscar Kovalovsky who, after some thought, came up with the solution. You have a very nice example of the finished product, a Fin-Nor/Kovalovsky combo.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Check out this pair one is Steve Zuckerman's the other a later production model. Notice the different shape of three speed housing on the earlier Zuckerman reel also different color gold. Another thing I wonder about is the black piece of plastic or Delrin that is mounted under drag arch on Zuckerman reel I have know idea what it could be for other than extra support ?? Another cool thing is the screw that holds it on from top of drag arch the slot in the screw makes the one in 1/4 drag. Also I included the picture of proto type Oscar Kovalovsky made that was pictured in Larry Louve's book. The Zuckerman reel is to the left. One other thing is the production model has the holes for the three gears numbered.

John Taylor

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Another cool thing I found when I stripped the line off Zuckerman's reel to clean spool was that the line was heavily waxed and I mean I had wax on my hands and wax was coated on spool. Also he had line marked every 100 yards with blue paint or marker. I have line that I am going to put back on along with Bimini twist near end. John Taylor