let's go fishin'

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

let's go fishin'

Post by Ron Mc »

Just had this rod rebuilt by my friend Earl. He did a great job, and I promised not to tell now little he charged me.
It's an 8'3" 3/2 Henshall-style rod, I'm working on identifying the maker - let me know if you can help.
But I was chunking 3/8 oz. in the back yard last night, and casting 100' was effortless. Bluegrass 33 with the trademarks on the tailplate.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Great looking rod Ron. Of all the antique rods Henshall style bait rods are my favorites.

I have often thought of bringing this example, marked "Dame Stoddard Co. Boston, Intervale" to the ORCA Convention to use in the fishing contest; but then I worry about damaging it.
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but these rods never get enough publicity, and they are one of the least appreciated classic fishing items there is. This one is my favorite Black Bass Rod. It is a Chubb:
The reel on the Dame Stoddard is an early unmarked black bass reel of hard rubber and German silver, while the Chubb has a Milam #3 on it.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Not a hijack, this is great. I've seen those rods on your site, Phil. Absolute beauties.
I went hunting for one to fish with and Joe W. on Joe's board came through.
This is what it looked like before it was rebuilt:

I know I've posted these before, but I also fish this pair:

South Bend? Doublebilt, c. 1927

4Bros. Regal 60-yd.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Guyz...enlighten us info junkies...what makes the rod a "Henshall-style"? ..the pregnant handle or ?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

the 8'3" long, 3-pc. configuration. (Trout fly rods were 11' then, and salmon rods were 20'.) As far as James Henshall was concerned, this was the only style baitcast rod for bass fishing (1875, Forest and Stream). In The Book of the Black Bass, 1881, he went into a long monologue on the qualities of different materials, a long list of woods, split cane, mixed materials for the different segments, tip vs. butt, etc. - but he never gave any room for a different size or configuration. He also recommended many rods, including Charles Orvis, and stated that the perfect rod, made by Abbey & Imbrie, was 8'3". That rod was mixed materials, ferruled joints, German silver fittings, 4-ring tip-top - this became the rod to copy. I'll get Mr. Henshall's specifications copied here later, but his polite descriptions of gentlmen that might want a different size in their bass rod range from "pure cussedness" to "infidel".

It's also a joy to cast.
With that slow easy lob the long rod gives you, preventing backlash is made much easier.

Oh, and that's not such a pregnant handle, as much as a tiny reel.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Henshall's specification for the bass rod:

Total length, when put together, 8'3"
Length of each piece, 34-1/2", includng ferrules

Butt:
Extreme end of butt, 3/4" dia.
Small end of butt, 1/2" dia.
Grip or hand-piece, 1-1/16" dia.
Reel seat, 1" dia.

Second piece:
Large end, 7/16" dia.
small end, 17/64"

Tip:
large end, 1/4" dia.
small end, 3/32" dia.

reel-seat, 4" long
From extreme butt to reel-seat, 7"

weight about 9 oz.
"The angler who seeks lightness in the rod at the expense of anything is worse than an infidel." Messrs. Abbey and Imbrie.