flyreels are finished-thanks for the patience, guyz

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Cool lure, John. Troll, cast? What would a couple of gill marks look like?...what?...a reel board?...Oh right!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Brian: He's 6 1/2 inches, with 6 belly weights...we'd need Big Lou to throw him! Think I'll stick to the troll. More on the way and I will likely put some gill marks on em.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

get some of those fly-shop glass eyes for them.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, they're starting to school!

Incremental progress on reels...more sanding plus made the shafts for the spools..this is the trick using the tap and die to shape the dowels and make a nice tight fit for glueing

Lots of time spent staring off into space, trying to figure out how to make a workable clicker in a very tight space, using woods that don't particularly like being thin!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Okay, you folks have been patient...let me see if I can push thru and finish these reels. I put a channel to guide the clicker, installed the clicker gear wheel, and put the housings together. next step will be to trim the spool axle and put a thread on the end for a nut to hold the spool in place...a bit of poetic license, but stock is too thin to risk threaded hole:

Last edited by john elder on Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

just a thought

Post by m3040c »

Well Mr. Elder, you are doing a fantastic job. I have been looking at the shaft and spool assemblies. I can see you are a purist in your wood construction but it seems to me there is enough material in the center of the spools for you to bore the spool center larger and install a ball bearing assembly. I was thinking you could counterbore the spool deep enough to install the bearing from one side of the spool and cover it with a drilled wooden plug. That way you will have enhanced your reel to a ball bearing type and reduce the friction of the spool on the shaft. You could install this bearing assembly at the stage you are at right now. :idea:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi, mike...your point is well-taken and if I go back to make fishables like this, I'll take your suggestion. However, these will just be ojay darts and besides, they run pretty smoothly just on the wood axle!

sanding...finishing...had to start something to mount these on:

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

the bearings

Post by m3040c »

Hello Mr. Elder,

I understand what you are doing and I am sure they runs smoothly on the shaft. I can see the tolerances you are working at. You are doing a beautiful job. I appreciate this type of workmanship so much because I have been a metal and woodworker all my life. My trade is Aircraft Structures and I have a real soft spot for this kind of workmanship. I can not wait to see when you turn a wood rod out of hickory to mount the reel to.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I think the rod butt came out pretty good and will work to display the reel. Cocobolo and ash are both excellent for holding threads, by the way:

Tried to make that poplar handle look like old cork grip, with some success, I think.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You turn your back for a minute...now they are breeding! Oh, well, it's Spring

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Okay, I quit

Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

John:

Outstanding! A fitting end to an amazing journey.Thanks for allowing us to look over your shoulder along the way (1905+ views). Now take a well earned break and go harass the albacore.
And for your next project, should you choose to accept it, rather than just make the body and fenders for that fellow admirer's Corvette,how about doing an entire replica of a 1963 split window Stingray coupe? In my favorite Corvette color of course. Know of any blue trees?
Well done my (our) friend. Take a bow. Take several bows.

Jim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Very nice work, as usual, and thanks for letting us watch! :bow: :bow: cool-thumb
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

great work, John.
See you have the caliper clicker in place. What did you use for the caliper? Did you use a spring?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

The Eldermatic

Post by m3040c »

When does it go on Ebay?
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Pfelder Raised Pillar

Post by Jack Bright »

SUPER journey, enlightning and educational. Will they take a WF 4 F ?
What`s length of rod ? I know a guy who want`s to order a dozen, how
soon can you have them ready ? If they sell well, he`s thinking of an order of 500 at first, and then ?
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Wood you ever think of doing............

Post by Jim Schottenham »

John,
Fantastic job on the reels, and outstanding job letting us watch and marvel at your work. If and when you ever decide to tackle a side-mount, let me be the first in line to drool over it! After all, if Alonzo Fowler could make one out of hard rubber, I'm sure an original John Elder would look better and last lots longer!
Thanks for sharing!
Jim
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Post by Harvey »

John,
Your craftmenship is second to none! AMAZING work! One should be quite proud to admit ownership of them. I can't wait till you retire and have a display cabinet full. And those lures are just too pretty to fish. Thanks, like everyone has said, for a chance to be part of this project. Even from a distance of 3,000 miles, I find myself brushing off the saw dust.
"H"
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks much for the pats, folks...had fun...not counting the lures, I figure about 30 hours...seems like a ton of time and certainly lots of it would go faster if/when i take on Jim's idea. But it's just amazing how fast an hour or two goes by when you are enjoying yourself. I hope this inspired a few "heck, I can do that" comments and that some of you come have some fun yourself...even a Ph.D. can do this :D

..and Ron, you would ask that question! It's cosmetically fine, but i still am grappling with a good way to make that clicker sound off and behave like I want it to. I'll report back when I've solve the problem. ..and Jack, if your friend would like 500 copies, tell him I can have the xeroxing done by tomorrow afternoon :D
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

give in and buy some brass strip?
you can definately get it at Micromark
A. WILLIS
Big ORCA Fan

REEL WOOD

Post by A. WILLIS »

I'M NEW HERE AND WAS TRYING TO LOOK AROUND A LITTLE. CAME ACROSS YOUR POST AND SAW THE WOOD PIECE THAT YOU WERE USING FOR YOUR REEL PROJECT. I LIVE IN AZ. I HAVE HONDURAS EXOTIC WOOD SCRAPS. MAHOGANY, COCO BOLO, SANGRIA. MY SPELLING IS PROBABLY ALL WRONG, BUT YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I MEAN. IF INTERESTED IN SCRAPS LET ME HEAR FROM YOU. I MAKE ROCKING CHAIRS AND THE SCRAPS ARE LEFT OVERS FROM THE ROCKERS.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mr. Willis: Thanks for the offer and if i could drop by, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat! However, I don't get over to Az these days and the cost of mailing might cancel out the value of doing it. Let me know what you need for them and how much weight is involved and maybe we can save them from the fireplace! ..and if you are coming for a look or have entered the Design in Wood Show at the San Diego Fair, maybe we could make a connection...if you haven't ever seen it, it might be worth a weekender, just to see Russ Filbeck's Maloof-style rockers! If you have a website for your rockers, i'm sure many of the readers would like to see some or your work as well. You can email me at . best to you!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I wish all my little adventures would end so well...we won First place in the Design in Wood show, in the catagory Model building, not to scale! thanks for the help, guyz!

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Alllrrright John!
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Not bad Elder Jim