Ocean City Collection

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Ocean City Collection

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Just a few of my Ocean City Reels. As you can see, i have room for more. Anyone willing to part with a few reels, let me know. Go to my thread of a few weeks ago in the "For Sale" section and see if you have any of the reels i need. Thank's for looking. canadian

Image[/url]Image
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice collection, Tony!
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Since Ocean City has been a recenet topic of discussion, i'd thought thay i would share more of my growing collection. Of coarse, this a shamless plug to ask for more reels. ENJOY

ImageImage
ImageImage
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Very nice. Got any junkers to cannabilize or spares or contacts that might have same? My fledgling collection ot OCs are missing a few teeth.
foxfirerodandgun
Big ORCA Fan

Ocean City Reels

Post by foxfirerodandgun »

Hi,
I am a "newbie" to this site and was searchinig for info on Ocean City reels and came across your post. I have a fair number of OC reels that I am selling. Is there any particular model that may be of interest?

Thanks,
James
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

I have always loved the reel wrench as a counterweight on the handle. I've always wondered why Penn or others did not license that option.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

A 12/0 Ocean City Panama that Stu Lawson personally sailed across the Pacific for me (much appreciated, Stu!) I don't believe the handle knob is a correct one but I do have one to swap in shortly. I'm not sure what type of knob it actually is but it sure looks like a later Vom Hofe or Zwarg to me?

ImageImage
Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

:shock: Hi Guys! I knew that the Panama was hard to come by, but 1 just sold on Ebay last night for the staggering some of $460.00 after 23 bids. GO OCEAN CITY! :shock: :lol: jump yay-banana canadian usa
adrian44
Big ORCA Fan

Post by adrian44 »

Great collection! :shock:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Just beautiful OC collections.

About the handle on Brian's Panama. I have a Ocean City Long Key 500 yard model with the original handle. Although the 500 yard model is much smaller than a 12/0 , I believe the handle on this reel is similar to a Panama.

Here are a couple of shots::

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

its getting late and I am seeing double. The other OC Long Key Pic is this::::

Tony Malatesta
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tony Malatesta »

Heres a pic. of my Long Key 450 yrd. model. Handle is like the 1 pictured on the Panama. I guess that they used what ever was available in their inventory at the time of production. Both handles are probably correct.
drexelantiques
Advanced Board Poster

Post by drexelantiques »

In all my years of collecting in the field I have never seen an Ocean City reel bigger than about a 4/0. I have seen larger in books, and heard of them in folks collections, but have never found one in the wild to buy. That makes me think they are very hard to find, perhaps undervalued. Are they that hard to find? Or have I just not seen many of them? In contrast I see more large Vom Hofe, Coxe, Zwarg, and of course Penn reels.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Three 612 12/0 Ocean City's came up on EBay last year that I know of. I bought one of them. Each one sold for around $500. The first two went to the same guy and I emailed him to sort of ask him to back off when the third one came up. He complied and I got a brand new, old OC 12/0 but still the bidding brought me up to over $500. I saw one beat up Ocean City 16/0 sell on EBay about six months ago, it was rough and missing parts but still brought a high price. Any size over 10/0 is very hard to find and the 14/0 and 16/0 are rare. True big game reels are all 10/0 and larger.

Ocean City made up to a 16/0 in their 600 series of big game reels. The Model number reflect directly to the reel size. A 612 is a 12/0, a 605 is a 5/0 and so on. They made from 1/0 to 16/0 (601 to 616) just like Penn except they added a 5/0 which Penn did not make. I have a 3/0, 5/0, 9/0 and 12/0 and in my opinion they are as good as Penn, maybe a bit stronger. The 12/0 Panama that Brian has was not part of that series of OC's, it is an earlier reel. The Panama was introduced in 1937. The 600 Series was a 1950's series of reels (I believe, they could have been around in the late 1940's also, I am not really sure), they even crossed over the True Temper and made some trade reels for Sears.

If anyone here wants Ocean City reels from beat up to nice ones in the box, let me know. I have many and I am selling. Just email me with your wants. I am not looking for big money. No reasonable offer will be refused.