N. E. Thompson Double Handle 16/0 Big Game Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Reelholder
Frequent Board Poster

N. E. Thompson Double Handle 16/0 Big Game Reel

Post by Reelholder »

This appears to be a 1940ish copy of a Fin-Nor double handle reel from the previous decade. Why Mr Thompson went to all this trouble is only a matter of guessing. Perhaps the war was on and Fin-Nor was being used for war parts manufacturing...I have no idea what Fin Nor did during the war... but I'd be interested to know.

Anyway, as a former machinist, I enjoy seeing the marks left by the end mill on the inset Thompson cut on the front drag housing and rear plate.

This reel came from a source none of us ever think to look...Sotheby's auctions. It cost me about the same as a Fin Nor double handle reel would have. The auction lot included the original massive rod and a vom Hofe leather shoulder harness.

It appears that the rod or reel was never used. It's a favorite reel of mine and of those that see my collection. The two handles are so amusing. The knobs are made of coco bola (spelling?) wood. The reel is machined from aluminum with a stainless reel seat and nickel plated brass cranks.

A fellow collector did show me pictures of a duplicate but unmarked reel. he was unable to acquire it from the owner. It was stored in a wooden box. Someone recently contacted me about another Thompson reel but I have not heard back from him...perhaps it's the same reel I saw the photos of. I'd like to think it's a third reel and that more are out there. Thompson definitely had the ability to machine just about any big game reel I've ever seen. Do any of you have a Thompson reel?

Here is the Thompson reel.

(edited by moderator - Hi Wayne, took the liberty to consolidate your posts and add your photos here. Please note that this board allows users to edit their posts to make changes if you forgot something or wish to delete it Aloha, Brian)
bicyclerider4life
Big ORCA Fan

Post by bicyclerider4life »

Very cool.