What is now my favorite old split bamboo EVH Useppa rod.

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

What is now my favorite old split bamboo EVH Useppa rod.

Post by m3040c »

I like old split bamboo saltwater rods. I have a few but this one came from a low profile listing on EBay at a very low price, under $75, so I did not expect much but I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a Edward Vom Hofe Useppa model. It is a tournament grade light tackle split bamboo rod built by Edward Vom Hofe in New York. I have to presume he named the rod "Useppa" because he loved fishing for Tarpon in the waters around Useppa Island on the west coast of Florida in the early 20th Century. I was told that Edward Vom Hofe spent many Summers in the Hotel on Useppa Island along with many celebrities.

http://www.useppa.com/history.html

The rod was rough when I got it but was complete. A friend of mine that builds big game tackle restored it for me. It turned out to be a regulation tournament light tackle rod because the tip weighs in at 5 1/2 ounces.

All agate eyes mounted in German Silver guide frames with a German Silver reel seat.

Unusual reel locking nut for a Edward Vom Hofe rod.

Tip ferrule matches the diameter of the tip butt.

Also unusual is the grip material. On the handle is a stamping identifying this grip material as "Darex". I wonder if anyone knows what "Darex" is? I feels just like leather.

On the butt of the tip is the Model name, Useppa Light Tackle, which is written in india ink under the varnish by the maker. I have been told that is how EVH identified his rod models.

Needless to say, I am very happy with this rod and I am actively looking for the proper reel to mount to it before I display it. I would think a Edward Vom Hofe 621 1/0 would be perfect for it. I know this is a reel collecting forum but I figured since EVH is a reel maker, this was a appropriate item to post here.
I have fished for Tarpon on a few occasions, never been lucky enough to land one but have had a few big ones on. I can not imagine being able to land a 100 pound plus Tarpon with this delicate rod.
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

Mike:

Got any before restoration pictures?

Dave O
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I did not take before pictures but can tell you that it looked exactly the same as it does now except that it was ugly. :)
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hello Orourke,

Actually, when I got it, the eyes were falling off and it had many dripped coats of varnish on it. It had to be stripped, the eyes had to be remounted, all thread wraps were redone and then recoated with a light coat of polyurathane. The inscription of the Model name was traced over and copied back on the rod with India ink and is under the finish as the original. The restoration was done with the vintage of the rod in mind. No modern techniques or coatings were used. The gentleman that did it for me is a friend named Ed Miller, he is a IGFA inspector and has a soft spot for vintage tackle. His big game rods are works of art and I have never met anyone that takes as good care of his tackle as he does. His personal choice of tackle is Fin-Nor and all his reels are from the 1970's, he's a young guy like me, we are in our 60's. Once I asked him how he keeps his tackle so nice, they are all like new and hanging from the ceiling in a special tackle room in his basement. He told me that they go in the shower with him after each trip.

Thanks for asking about the "before",
Mike
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Mike:

You have a great looking piece there. And whatever it looked like when you first got it, you and your friend have certainly removed all of the ugly.

Beautiful restoration work. You have a treasure in that one.

Jim
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks Jim and I hope all is well with you and yours,

Mike
UseppaIsland
Big ORCA Fan

Re: What is now my favorite old split bamboo EVH Useppa rod.

Post by UseppaIsland »

Hi : I read your post regarding the EVH "Useppa" rod. I am searching for this EVH "Useppa" rod. Please advise where I can purchase one:
Contact info: mobile, 239-989-7425. K.B. Lockhart, email; *** email address removed ***
Thank you so much for any information from anyone who knows where I can find one of these.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: What is now my favorite old split bamboo EVH Useppa rod.

Post by m3040c »

Hi : I read your post regarding the EVH "Useppa" rod. I am searching for this EVH "Useppa" rod. Please advise where I can purchase one:
Contact info: mobile, 239-989-7425. K.B. Lockhart, email; *** email address removed ***
Thank you so much for any information from anyone who knows where I can find one of these.

Well Sir, the only survivor I know of, that you see pictured in this post, now resides with the Useppa Historical Society in their museum on Useppa Island.
I located this rod by pure accidental luck and had it restored as per rod building techniques of the turn of the 19th to 20th Century. Except for the Varnish on the rod, it is all original. The person that restored the rod, photographed the original white India Ink inscription and newly inscribed onto the blank before he varnished it.

I have never seen another one and felt that the only place it really belonged was with the Useppa Historical Society, so I sold it to them at my cost with the stipulation that my name was placed on a plaque, along with the name of this great club and that plaque be displayed next to the exhibit. Which the historical society did, except for the little fact that they spelled my named wrong. I guess we can't have everything we want. :(