The Ol' Girl's Still Standing!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
David M
Advanced Board Poster

The Ol' Girl's Still Standing!

Post by David M »

E. A. Pflueger Co. / The Enterprise Mfg. Co. No.2 Akron, Ohio

1891 plat map

1891 plat map #2

1910 plat map

1915 plat map

1921 plat map

1951 -- Plotkin Bedding Co. - mattresses

2004 -- Dolly Madison Mattress Co.

Google Maps -- Try clicking on the "Satellite" view if it's not already on, and get a birds-eye look of the location. You can still see the old smoke stack, if you zoom in. Also, click on the blue "more" and check out the "Street View", you can spin around 360 degrees and see the whole neighborhood. While your in the area you can also move the "Street View" cursor to the corner of Perkins and N. Union St. and look at the old Werner building. It was Pfluegers future office headquarters for a much larger factory that stood across the street, until fire distroyed that facility in 1977. There's nothing to see any longer at the old Ash St. location but a AAA Auto Club parking lot...kind of sad! You know, I always assumed by looking at the drawing of the E. A. Pflueger Co. building that it was a huge sprawling complex, but in reality it was quite small for the amount of work they did. I also don't think the building was ever as large lengthwise as the original artist rendering shows, because if it were, it would have crossed over onto the railroads property.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=9 ... CBYQ8gEwAA

Today the occupants of 277 Bluff St. look to be a construction firm, and a non-profit org., which nowadays sadly can almost be the same thing. I'm thinking about calling them up, just to see if they've ever seen a ghost wandering the halls flinging a fishing rod around!

David
Last edited by David M on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Neat information, David. Looks to me like the building footprint in the plat maps matches the artist's drawing.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Nice info Dave...as close to a Tour as I'll ever get. If ya get ahold of the current occupants...ask 'em if there is a basement OR an attic! :shock: :?: :lol:
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Brian, You may be right. Maybe it's just the point of view, but it looks like the right hand side has a lot fewer windows, but yes the footprint looks the same.

Rick, It would be extremely exciting if one of our bunch could obtain permission to photograph and/or video the entire building inside and out while it's still around, just for our own historical record. There's bound to be a few unexplored, yet creepy, nooks and crannies that haven't been seen in a over hundred years, especially in a possible attic or basement like you mentioned. If I ever find the time, I just might take a long road trip, a Pflueger quest. I ain't afraid of no ghost! Wellll!...not that much anyway. If only we knew of a world class historian/ghost buster that lives in that neck of the country. Hmmm...preferably a Dr. who's last name starts with a T. That would be the proper man for the job, just sayin'. Who knows, there could be a cobweb covered dusty crate full of handmade experimental reels waiting to be discovered in the catacombs.

You know what else is a little creepy? I wonder if when E. A. Pflueger moved into that building, if it came with any of the previous businesses silver plating equipment and shop tools included. A factory that was already set-up, and semi ready to go for his needs, might have been a buying point for him since he seemed dead-set on getting the heck away from the old Enterprise location. That could mean that some of the metal tackle produced was possibly made, plated, polished, buffed, and whatever else, with the same equipment that previously produced coffin hardware, it's seems possible.

I did come across some more, albeit boring, info regarding the Akron Silver Plating Co. from 1899. It's not about reel's, but it's interesting nonetheless.

(The following was copied and pasted exactly as it was written)

"The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review, Volume 38"

Feb 15 1899
Auction Sale of the Property of the Akron Silver Plating Co Akron O Feb 10 About $200 worth of the property of Akron Silver Plating Co was sold at auction Wednesday by HW Cole Between $75,000 and $80000 was lost in eight years by this company The plant is appraised at $15,000 and is for sale

March 8 1899
Stockholders of Akron Silver Plating Co Held Liable Akron March 3 Judgments aggregating $100,000 were returned to day against the stockholders of the Akron Silver Plating Co who went into a receiver's hands about a year ago The property was sold but a big deficit was left which the stockholders will have to pay

April 26 1899
The Suit Against the Akron Silver Plate Co Clf veland O April 17 Answering the suit of the First National bank 01 Miamisburg vs the Akron Silver Plate Co HW Cole says the note of the plate company which he endorsed should not be collected of him but of the company He asks that the plaintiff be required to exhaust the assets of the company including the statutory ability of the stockholders before having recourse to the claim against him as endorser

Volume 39

August 2 1899
The plant of the Akron Silver Plate Co Akron O was sold July 25 to Max Schumacker for $5,000 Five years ago it is said it cost $30,000

August 9 1899
Hugo Schumacher and others who recently purchased the Akron Silver Plate Co Akron O it is reported will organize a $50,000 company to put the works in operation at once

August 23 1899
A new stock company has been organized to operate the old plant on Bluff St Akron O used by the Akron Silver Plate Co recently purchased by Max Schumacher from the assignees Goods similar in character to the former product the factory will be manufactured Operations will begin Oct 1 and about 75 men will be employed

October 11 1899
The Standard Silver Plate Co have been organized at Akron with a capital of $50 000 The plant of the defunct Akron Silver Plate Co has been purchased and it is the intention to employ about 100 hands Hugo Schumacher will be president of the new company and Max Schumacher superintendent Both men have been connected with the big Schumacher cereal business there and are good business men

David
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

David...You crack me up! :lol: You get the monthly award...you managed to go from Tour Guide to Historian to Campaign Manager (Yer it Dr. Todd!), to Ghost Buster and even tossed in a little Real Estate analysis for good measure. If ya do take that trip, take a gallon of milk with ya...I hear they made some mean Breakfast Cereals down that way! :shock: :lol:

Seriously: GOOD Stuff, I love the histories!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Bad Bob could probably poke around there for a while looking for an oil cap for his E.A. Pflueger reel. He might find one in a dusty corner or in an old bench drawer. Bob, if you go take that dog with you so it can hunt gosts!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I would love to spend some time just wondering around in there! Thanks for the great info
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Ya know what?! She sure would make a fantastic National Fishing Museum. History and Tackle.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Thanks for the kind responses guy's. Rick, I was thinking along those same lines myself. It's just that it's in such an isolated location, you wouldn't get much traffic, if any. I think Karl White is still looking for a place for his superb collection. The last time I saw his museum was in the mid 80's in the boonies outside of Oklahoma City. I was mainly into lures then, and regret not studying his reels enough. Live and learn. I was a young kid then, and he was so nice to tell me all he could. He sold me a couple of lures and signed my book. Anyway, it only lasted a short while there, and it didn't work out in Tulsa either I believe. It must be a tough business.

I bet the old Pfl building could be bought for a lot less than one would think, from looking at Akron's prices. It could be converted into the neatest house I believe, at least a portion of it. Hey!...how about a retirement center for Orcan's only. Did you ever see Animal House?...kind of like that. Might be a little noisy sandwiched between two railroad tracks though, for the trains that is.

OK! This was bugging me. I was determined to find out why the right side, and rear section of the old E.A. Pflueger building looked like later additions, I mean why would anyone build a building like that, and not have it match. The style is a little different in those locations, as well as the brick color. Well, I searched and searched and finally found a different 1891 plat map of the Akron Silver Plating Co., one with a foundation layout. It certainly looks like the two sections could have been added later, possibly when E. A. took over. The additions don't make a perfect fit, as far as the plats depict, but then the drawings may not be perfect either. I put the newly found 1891 plat, as well as a new 1910 plat, in the time-line at the top of the page, so that it would be easier to compare images. Does any of this seem right to anyone?

David
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

David...I gotta agree with ya. Simpy based on design alone, I would bet that the original building was the two main sections that the Fire Escape spans, along with the tower. The other two (left and right sides in the photo) had to be additions. In fact the Trade Mark rendering seems to display (potentially) even more additions.

It's a shame to see the Ol' Girl being ignored. She's got some great lines and really belongs in a Big City. A shame to see her drying up in a small country setting.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Here's some more pic's that were cropped and sharpened, although the original photo doesn't have much resolution to work with. It appears that the right hand section of the building is made of blocks of some kind, and not brick.

David
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

It looks like a lot of the building was removed over the years (or was it the fire mentioned in one of Bad Bob's articles that changed it). When it comes down to cost, especially for a factory building, owners are less inclined to care about what it looks like when it comes to alterations or additions.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Hello Brian,

Until we can get a man on the ground, so to speak, it's hard to tell from the info provided at this time exactly what part was removed, if any, except for the small out-buildings. But regarding the fires, I was under the impression that all of the fires were over at the Enterprise plant over on Ash Street. I did read in the "Reel News", and the New York Times archives about the Pflueger pfires in the early 1890s. But, they also had two fires in 1911 according to The Insurance Press fire and casualty report. One was on March 22 with a loss of $25,000, and the other was on April 12 with a loss of $75,000. The articles only mentioned; fishing tackle plant, the losses, and that they were both at The Enterprise Mfg. Co. Akron, Ohio in 1911, which at that period in time would have meant that they were at the Ash St. plant, and not the E. A. Pflueger Co. location. If they ever did indeed have a fire later on at the Bluff St. plant that I'm not aware of, I would really like to read about it.

David
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Re: The Ol' Girl's Still Standing!

Post by Robin Sayler »

So I ran across this today...https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/akron/277-b ... 2352523158

Apparently you can live in the old factory. There is a couple neat pictures in the listing.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: The Ol' Girl's Still Standing!

Post by RAM »

Amazing pics. I have wondered at times if that building was still standing. Thanks David!

Bad Bob