Bowmanville on Sunday

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Bowmanville on Sunday

Post by Paul M »

If anyone here will be in southern Ontario this Sunday, come and see me at the Bowmanville Tackle Swap and Fishing Show. I'll have a table featuring antique reels, split cane rods and some lightly used Ross Big Game fly reels. With 5,000 visitors expected, 70 regular tackle vendor booths plus personal tackle swap tables, I will be trying to recruit a new ORCA member or two.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 521&type=3
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Bowmanville on Sunday

Post by Paul M »

I was delighted to meet ORCA member Jim Wilson today, in person. Jim lives in the Kawartha lakes area, our little part of heaven. He came over to my display and introduced himself. He must have been watching this page to know I was going to be there. We had a great chat and I look forward to helping him get some messages posted here.

I don't think anyone new got the urge to join ORCA but I did see a few brochures get picked up by folks that took advantage of some of my reel deals. [I overtly solicited one of my CAFTA friends, but he said he had too many irons in the fire already. Those darn lure collectors!]

A video crew came through towards the end of the show and they spent several minutes filming tackle at my table including closeups of the antique reels. Hopefully they got the ORCA brochure in the images, too. I will be on the lookout for where it plays.... I think they are part of a video blogging group that does fishing shows so maybe it will show up on Youtube.

And many thanks to my daughter Amanda who always helps me put together the displays and manage the fort when I get tied up talking reels.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Paul is our Ambassador Extraordinaire. He is not only our Facebook Master but also our Marketing Expert. I am learning so much from him. Thanks Paul for continually promoting ORCA.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Betty: You are the best Cheerleader!

This was an interesting regional sportman's show, with a mix of about 70 regular tackle vendors, plus 3 dozen personal "swap" tables as well as regional community booths and government agencies. There were several ways that charitable donations were collected too, filling a trailer with non-perishable food for the Salvation Army, for example. One main thing of interest was the number of young families that attended, with kids fully occupied at a casting contest area.

I am showing this to suggest that ORCA members take their displays to regional general shows of this sort, where it is not just hard core collectors but more of a general audience where young people get exposed to the curiosities of our reel collecting interests. Our membership is spread widely across North America and a few people can't get the word out like we could as individuals.

Personal tables area- I was located in the rear centre. Busy or what? I recovered my costs many times over and made a few new collectors happy thanks to a few boxed Bronson's and other tackle.

A section with new tackle vendors:

More pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 195&type=3

Paul Manuel
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice work, Paul! I know that several members have done similar in the past and it's good to get more out there!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."