Bill Burke

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Bill Burke

Post by bettybarr »

I just received the news that long time member Bill Burke of Paris KY died on March 13. Bill was a tournament casting champion for many years, both in this country and internationally. He was our Guest Speaker at the Friday night banquet for the 2016 National meeting at Buckberry Lodge. Bill spoke to us about his experiences in tournament casting and his innovative reel modifications that he was well known for. He was a noted machinist and made many reels for tournament casters well as for his own use. Bill was a gentleman, gracious and sharing. He attended our Regional Meetings here in Frankfort and was an active participant in ORCA and the ACA. He will be missed by many.
Visitation is tomorrow evening, March 14, from 5-8. His funeral is Friday at 11:00 at the Paris First United Methodist Church, 617 Pleasant Street, Paris KY.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Bill Burke

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Sad, sad news indeed! I had some very nice interaction with Bill in the past. He was a very helpful and sharing individual! He will surly be missed!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Very sorry to here that. I enjoyed visiting with him last year.

Roger Schulz
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

May he Rest easy.....
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So sorry to hear. I had some nice interactions with him at the Nationals. It was good that we got to hear him when we did and I think he enjoyed the experience as well.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
blf
Frequent Board Poster

Post by blf »

i was BILL's friend for over 40 yrs. i met him in 1973 at the nationals in San Antone Texas. i had contacted him as he was well known even then.i needed a custom spool for a competition abu, they had given me. i has an idea of spool angle and depth, to ask him what he thought. he liked my idea a lot. he said he would build me 1, and he was coming to s.a. for the nationals. i met him at opening doings, he had the reel spool with him. we talked about ideas for 3 hrs thru supper. i was at the field to practice the next day. at 08:00. guess what reel i spooled up 1st ???? yep. u got it.

i had a 5000 yd spool of approved line. i loaded it up, and cut loose. naturally i threw a GOB the size of a bail of hay down range. loaded, gobbed.over 1000 ft. gone and no legal cast yet. Bill said i need to wrap the line as tight as humanly possible on the spool. i was loading more line than ever before, and a 40ft trace.

he gave me a leather glove as i was trying and it was slipping
due to the 104 deg heat. lil' fat TEXANS also sweat a lot. i torqued down on that line, like i was being towed thru a nest of rattlers.. 1 cast broke the record about 25' past (IN PRACTICE - DOESNT COUNT) next day was day 1. 30 gram spinning 1st event. we had hand loaded that spool with leather gloves. 5 min before i used it. 529ft -- 30 ft past the old record.
2 more landed good and i averaged 519' for 3 casts.Bill would take no money for the spool.he told me years later, took c.i.a. orders for 16 more over 150$ ea.
L.O.L. BUTTT he said he never built another as good. he was still a school teacher, and it paid for his meets the next year. sports Illistrated did an article in Sept of 1973 issue. on the national and the cast.

he built me a part the nite before the nationals in Chicago,1995, to keep my "spider web reel" running. i threw an 18gr plug 468 ft. i didn't beat Steve Rajeff but 1 ft more and i would have. made the all American team for the 25th time

no better man walked than William "Bill" Burke. we must have been on 6-8 international teams for the U.S' in world championships, 30 or so national's and more regional's than i can count.

he was a wizard, an organizer, a student of the game. he set a national record of a perfect score 1 year in the nationals. most of all he was MY FRIEND. i have mostly retired some 10 yrs ago. no fire to compete anymore. toooo busted up to throw distance. this will put the "RAG IN THE BOTTLE" for me

i cant ever replace him and i am not going to try. leaving tomorrow for the calling hours if the blizzard lets me get thru. the funeral on friday. turning around and driving home Friday nite i will probably cry both ways.

jjw
B.L. Farley
call sign "Tall Texan"
330-801-4549 cell
330-388-6627 s.a.t. phone