Albert Munger

Check back here for all your latest ORCA news and announcements!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Albert Munger

Post by Paul M »

According to posts on Joe's, I was sad to learn that Albert Munger passed away a few days ago. Albert Munger was an Honorary member of ORCA and a pioneer in reel collecting.

Paul Manuel
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Albert Munger

Post by Nick in NY »

Al was a character and great collector. I remember exchanging stories more than 25 years ago about the ocean and fishing in general. He'd come to a show after a night of fishing. He had a good eye for quality pieces and added a few 4 and 5* items from me through the years. Don't care what anyone says the shows keep/kept collectors together. Unfortunately it's a thing of the past for the most part. Todays shows are to far and few with lots of miles to travel. Im glad to of know so many good guys that have since passed. Fortunately I'm one of the younger collectors. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

When the notice was posted on Joe's, I warned the person who posted it that the vultures would be swarming. Over the weekend I spoke with one of Al's sons, whom I've known for almost 40 years. He confirmed my fears, complaining that he's already been contacted several times about the fate of Al's collection. Al hasn't been buried yet. It's disturbing to learn how crass and insensitive some collectors seem to be. Shame on them.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Best thing to do is contact Lang's! Let ALL THE COLLECTION go threw them! All meaning no piece to a particular person! Everything to auction. I see all to often when someone knows an existing family member all of a sudden......He promised me this or that when the family is most vulnerable! Let it be sold at Lang's. My condolences to the family. Al will be missed. Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I wish I would have had a chance to meet Al. His book certainly had an early impact on my reel collecting interests. Please convey my best to the family when you talk with them, Steve.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ditto what John said. I never met Al, but his early books helped get me started in collecting reels. They were written in a folksy manner and were way ahead of their time. God bless Al and his family.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I never met Al either but did enjoy a lot of lengthy conversations with him on a variety of subjects. The last time I spoke with him he was still going out in his dory to fish. I will miss him.