2010 - Some Goals Met, Some Unfulfilled.

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

2010 - Some Goals Met, Some Unfulfilled.

Post by Reel Geezer »

In December 2009, I decided to see if I could catch a smallie in the river every month of 2010. I also set a goal of trying to catch 2000 fish in 2010. In early December I thought my goals were impossible. I was 116 fish shy of the total, and the weather had turned awful. My boat is kept in a shed type garage.
Finally, we did have a few days that were decent enough for a 78 year old man to head for the river. I struck out on the first two trips, but finally on December 27 I landed a nice 16" smallie on a pearl grub on my drop shot rig. That fish still left me 115 fish short of my other goal. Oh well, there were some great highlights in 2010. Some of which have been shown here before.

On April 15 The River blessed me with this beautiful 5 pound 4 ounce fish:

July 13 produced this black faced smallie. She was normal colored on the other side of her body:

On August 31 a spinnerbait lured this handsome 21" hard fighting dandy.

And lastly, on October 14 fatboy hit my drop shot rig and fought like a bulldog. He was only 16.5" long, but very unusual.

In all, I was very blessed in 2010, even though I didn't reach both of my goals. I was able to spend 142 days on the water, even though we had a very nasty spring. Not too bad for an old geezer. 2011 HERE I COME!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

clap, clap, clap, clap. clap...!

Nice going, Phil...You're living the fishing version of that great wish to "be shot off a bar stool by a jealous husband at 92" :D

May you be dragged down the river by a 10 lb smallie at age 95!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Way to go Geeze! cool-thumb
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Well done Geeze.
You only need to see the huge numbers of views that your postings get to realize what a drawcard you are . We all revel in the adventures of Fudge , Geeze and the rubber reel Lady and hope you all enjoy many more .
Thank you for sharing .
Ray
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Wow. Great job, Phil. That last fish is just a tank. I wonder what it will weigh when it is all said and done. I imagine that is about as fat as a smallie can get.

-- Dr. Todd
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Awesome pictures and year! Raise the stakes to 2011 fish in 2011.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

A great year!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for the tour de fish (or maybe tour de peche), Phil! Happy new year to you, Marilyn and the pooch!
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

You're a blessed man Phil. Remember that the Lord doesn't count the days we spend fishing against the total that he's allotted for our life. Just keep hopping into your boat every chance you get!
I'd love to be your neighbor as I'd try to help you increase your days out on the water this year. What great fun it would be to do battle with all those smallies!
Warren Platt
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Great sharing Phil. You make us all feel good! Just continue doing the best things in life.
mortepa
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mortepa »

Love the variations! That October 14th one looks like quite a pig too! Wow!