playing hookie

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

playing hookie

Post by Ron Mc »

better late than never to tell this story.
We had a great event on our tailwater a few weeks ago - Troutfest.
http://www.grtutroutfest.org/
It was pretty special, the Whitlocks, the Beefus, Ed Engle, fly tiers from all over the country.
The best thing about it is clout we were able to demonstrate to one of our guests, the water authority - we have a flow agreement that helps us to summer over fish, and won it in a court dispute. The agreement will be up for renewal again soon. But I've always told our TU chapter board that the best way to defend our fishery is to show its financial impact on the winter economy of the river and supporting outdoor industry.

Met a buddy at 6:30 the first morning, and he had to be back at 9:30 to help with a fly tying class. We busted down a half-mile of river to get to this pocket water - it's hard to get to, doesn't get hit much - maybe by the guides floating through.
This morning, though, we were both just counting coup - missing fish right and left. I struck 6 fish and broke off one. But I did get to show Danny this gorgeous water where he had never been, and not too many people ever find.

Danny and I both missed this fish in the morning, and both saw it. I saw it first rise after my cats whisker, then got a quick strike in the same spot on my swimming BWO dropper. In the same pocket, also hooked up a little 12-incher who shook me off in a beautiful aerial. We went down quite a bit farther, where I counted more coup - all the time watching the clock.

On the way back up, in the very same pocket, Danny hooked it up, but it spit the hook just as I was reaching for my camera.
He asked what would he do if it did take off in this fast water - if he could even land it. I pointed to the sand bar behind him and told him it would be easy enough to follow it down river on that...
I got him back to Troutfest on time and I made the rounds, glad handed, met the TU VP, then I sneaked out.
I went back and caught this fish.
(the rod is a Japanese Quiet Loop vf805, and the reel is a red agate Fishon imported by my friend Tom http://www.blackbearflyfishing.com/serv ... Categories)
22 inches and took a size 22 midge - a red one, and in the middle of a thick BWO hatch - don't know what to say about that.
I thought she had me on a rock, but she just sat on the bottom. When I lifted, she porpoised and dashed upriver into the chute. After a few turns she charged downriver and I got to take my own advice about the sand bar. It got me downriver fast enough. She finally quit at the tailout, and I was bringing her in with her head out of the water and she even turned upside down - I figured it had to be over. But she got a second wind and blasted across river - I didn't have a second wind in me.
But got her back to the net, quickly got through the photo, and managed to release her in a slow rocky eddy at the tailout. She headed right back toward her pocket.

This is where I released her, and hooked her right below the riffle at the top of the photo.
I was tired after 4 miles of hiking and wading for the morning.
But there's nothing like doing what you set out to do...
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Beautiful pics, great narrative. Thanks, Ron!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Beautiful as usual!