Beastie

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Beastie

Post by Ron Mc »

I took it easy this morning, didn't get up until 7:15, slowly made my breakfast tacos and drank my coffee, was on the road at 8:30, and and on the water about 9:15. Even though there was a wind, I picked my FE Thomas cane and prewar JW Young reel (Lyon & Coulson Varden).

Fished through all the typical holes close to the parking with no luck. Really wanted to go upriver to explore a deep run that has become accessible this year with gravel that moved in, but I was looking at a short wade downriver to "the barrel hole". Vacillated, then went down. There is a tiny little rut against the cypress roots opening into the barrel hole, and my first cast went there. It wasn't the bottom...

I knew it was big, and so I didn't alarm it, headed straight around and down the barrel and walked this fish on the leash with steady pressure. I gave it good walk, because it was almost ready when I ramped the pressure, but it did have a good second run when it saw me.
Trout of my career, guys, 26-27 inches, and easily 7 lbs.
I'm really going to have to get a bigger net.
I'm amazed this picture came out, because I was holding the camera way above my head.
Here you can see the size of its head next and still a little below my 3-3/8" Varden.
I released it the shallows and herded it back to the barrel
When I did get upriver, no big fish for me, but just to show you there are "normal" trout in the Guadalupe:
One of the guides who floated by did a very good job of putting his fare on a another big one
Great morning, but I've got to get a bigger net...
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Nice fish Ron! they sell these muskie nets up north - - - - -
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

wow, Ron...I bet you sleep in more often after this!...thoughts of putting that one on the wall before setting it free?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

no, he was in a part of the river where I always see many redds. He was about an inch shorter than the state record, and I've released record fish before.
This would have been the state record endemic Guadalupe bass - by far - but getting the record would have required killing the fish for a liver biopsy to prove it was not a smallie hybrid, and I wouldn't even consider that. I would rather she breed in Guadalupe where she belongs.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Admirable, Ron. Hugely admirable and those are far more memorable fish now that you have set them free than they would be if you had them on a wall.

Well done, on all levels.

-- Dr. Todd