Bass fishing, asparagus, and snowy campgrounds

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Bass fishing, asparagus, and snowy campgrounds

Post by Reel Geezer »

The Snake River is still running 6-8' above average for this time of year, so this old geezer's been staying away. Luckily, the lake out front has been producing some great largemouth fishing. I had one evening with 22 LM up to 18", and just last night I had a great time with them taking baits in 8-12" of water. It was a blast.

The asparagus in our pasture is finally coming up and Fudge and I take a walk and pick enough for a meal each evening. It's about a month behind schedule. It's interesting that like many kids I hated asparagus when I was growing up, but sure enjoy it now.

The campers will be heading to the Idaho mountains this afternoon for the memorial day holiday. If any think they are going to head very high into the mountains they are in for an awakening. It snowed last night above 3500 feet and there is still 4-6' of snow covering some picnic tables. Have you noticed how many people have gotten stuck this winter by following roads found by their automobile's GPS? Several have died out this way.

Bad Bob, you're not the only one who can ramble on about nothing...
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

We have the same thing here, lots of snow this past winter and almost every other day it seems to rain. It is making for a good wild asparagus crop. It has also been a good year for Morel mushrooms.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

this thread is useless without pictures.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I'm sorry to be worthless. I'll try better next time. I don't have a photo of an asparagus plant or a snow covered picnic table, so these will have to do. I didn't post them because I didn't use antique tackle and they really have nothing to do with the point of the thread.

This is one of my favorite wading flats on the lake. It is the one that produced the 22 largemouth in a couple of hours this week. All were caught on a soft jerk bait that I mold. This flat will soon be choked with smartweed. It is just starting to emerge.

This is a largemouth bass. It was caught alongside the trees in the background. The reel is the Japanese market equivalent of the Shimano Curado. The rod is one I made.

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Geeze, Ron's post is internet tongue-in-cheek for "Let's see some pictures!"
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Thanks, Brian. For some strange reason I thought
"this thread is useless without pictures"
meant...

This thread is useless without pictures.