Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

not the year, the miles on the trip odometer - we just got back from vacation with my daughter, my buddy Stevo, and his two daughters
first night in Caprocks Canyon

four nights in Chama, NM
coming from s. Texas, the 45-degree mornings made for a happy camper

they're robbing the train

end of the July 4th train ride in Chama was the best fireworks show I've ever seen - a full hour and a very well designed show
sorry, my camera doesn't do any good for that.

with a side trip to Taos

for any thinking about heading that way (northern NM) - all the National Forests are closed to all activities - Stage 3 fire restrictions - so only private water and private camping is accessible.
Heading back south, we spent a night in Roswell

Then a short drive the next morning to Carlsbad

at $6 admission for a 4-hour self-guided tour, Carlsbad is the best entertainment value on the planet.

and on for a final night in Ft. Stockton (move on, nothing to see there - well, telephone poles- they don't have tree one)
What made it all possible was a Mac with a headphones splitter and a big stack of dvds.
Last stop was Cooper's BBQ in Junction, followed by a watermelon at the Junction city park
we give this vacation two thumbs up
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice! I took it from your invisibility of late that you were off on some adventure!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

and before that, staging for it. The pop-up is borrowed from my sister. Made a 10-hour drive to and from Livingston to get it from the garage of her lake house. It hadn't been used for 12 years, when I borrowed it last for a family NM vacation. Of course it got new tires, wheel bearings and brake fluid.
Had it set up in my driveway for a week to air it out, bleach and flush the water, move out her stuff and pack ours.

There were some nice reels involved on this trip - my Golden West, Meek 55. Also, I managed to snipe and win the Carlton Lightweight that came up on ebay, paid for it on wi-fi, and it was waiting for me when I got back home.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Two questions Ron...1) Did ya clock the Road Runner? 2) Ever consider adopting a son? :wink:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I have never seen tame roadrunners before like at Caprock Canyons.
Used to have a flower pot stand that looked like a chicken, made from rebar, and a roadrunner came by to flirt with it every day.