Son's first fish on fly rod

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Son's first fish on fly rod

Post by BirdDog »

Took the kids on a short camping trip. The rod in the photo is one that I bought from Len at the convention, it was popular item with both kids.
I also spooled up a South Bend 1131A and placed it on a Richardson rod.
We had a lot of fun fishing with it. Only problem is, my son can probably
outcast me with it. His two handed casting technique works well for him. Also he didn't have very many backlashes. He has picked up the casting technique very well. Could have something to do with his choice of footwear, looks like something Fishbugman would wear. Both kids enjoyed the trip and I had to pry them away from the dock when it was time to leave. The fishing gear was the last of the items to be packed away for the trip home. I will give him the fly rod and reel. I will also have to pick up another rod for my daughter. I should have a reel that will work for her. Hope you enjoy the photos.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice score, young-in! He's hooked for life!...er...except for the years where girls and cars take the lead...

..and Richard T. will love those shoes! :D
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Yes your right John, problem is he is already talking sports cars. girls probably are not too far behind. Yes I also think Richard T. would appreciate his choice of footwear.

Don
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Looks like it was a great trip, Don! Any time the kids catch fish it's a great trip!
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Nice shoes! Just let him know that the green, orange and purple ones work fine for every day use, but that he will need to get a pair of dress black ones for special formal occasions like weddings, proms & Sunday dinners at Mom & Dad's. As I continue to preach, Crocs are the foundation to a life of 7 letter words beginning in "F" like freedom, fashion, fishing, f[at]-k+;%, oops...

PS...don't make the mistake of buying one of those fancy camouflage pairs from EBAY...they are not really Crocs and are made of hard plastic which tear your feet up.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Yep. That's what it's all about! Dead Lake, too! Now I have to fish there FOR SURE! Maybe next time we can get the boy and girl up there at the same time!

-- Dr. Todd
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

Yes, sounds like a great idea.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

hard to find a better smile than a kid showing a fish they caught.