Upcoming Pack-in Trip:

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Upcoming Pack-in Trip:

Post by Rick H »

Headed out late this week for some high country lake fishing and camping. The first pic is the first lake on the trip and the 2nd pic is another lake about 400 yards farther NE and 500 feet lower. It's a heavenly hike up into these lakes. I say heavenly, because you wish you were dead about 1/2 way up (no switchbacks). Nice little cutthroat though.

HIKERS: Oldest to youngest...Daughter (35), Son from Florida (34) and girlfriend, youngest Son (27) and girlfriend. Me (5 days from death :shock: ).

Pics to follow...early next week.

Winter Time View...the tall pointed Mtn. in the background (1st Pic) is Glacier Peak. (Elev. 10,541)

Last edited by Rick H on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

nice, Rick...and it doesn't look like there will be any 7-11s up there!...take plenty of refreshment!...and we want to see pics of the hikers and the fish!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Okay...Trip is done and I'm sitting here licking my wounds. THAT was the LAST time that I make that hike!

For those interested in a short photo-montage', heres a link to some of the pictures I took... http://ricksreels.weebly.com/minotaur-- ... -trip.html

Otherwise...this sums it up...

Image[/b]
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

great photos, Rick...beautiful place and you got to hang with the young-uns! Did they give you the tail on that trout? Nice fish!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

No John! That's the sad part! They forced me up that mountain and didn't even offer me the tail...I LOVE those tails! :wink:

T'was a great time had by all...in the end. A couple of the gals had minor mental "break-downs" within the first 100 yards of the hike. It is truly a reality check for the body and a serious SHOCK, to anyone who hasn't made the climb before. The boys were able to get them calmed down and movin' again. After that, the next hundred yards maybe didn't seem as bad (even though it was) and eventually everyone made it. Tired and sore, but they were all "TROOPERS". My daughter never even uttered a peep of negativity, the WHOLE TRIP. Made an Old Man PROUD! :cry:
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

And when I do that hike how much exactly do the supplementary oxygen tanks weigh , what do sherpa's charge , and how much does the rescue helicopter cost?
Once upon a time , I could'a done it.
Nowdays, it's all downhill fishing for me. I take the car back to the top.
Ha!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Arley said...
...how much exactly do the supplementary oxygen tanks weigh , what do sherpa's charge , and how much does the rescue helicopter cost?
Honestly...I'd have paid dearly for any one of the three, or combination thereof! That's the last time I do that one.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Rick:

Wasn't it Friedrich Nietzsche who said "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"?

And your family is certainly strong. Troopers indeed! Beautiful lakes up there. Beautiful cutthroat too. And great looking fly gear. Given the snow pack in the Cascades this year, you did good to get up there.

And now you can kick back and have a cold one...or two.

Jim
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Jim...Wasn't it Friedrich Nietzsche...who died at 56?! Didn't work well fer him and I was pushin' the envelope...so to speak.

We didn't get down to the lower lake which holds the Cutts, but we did manage to pull in a few Bows out of the upper lake. I saw a couple of NICE Bows...swim by! :cry:
Last edited by Rick H on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Great adventure - thanks for sharing.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Wow! Great pictures. Looks too good to be real. Looked at your website also. What a fantastic job you have done. I haven't learned the art of taking an old reel and making it look new. You should give lessons. Fantastic.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Jonathan...Thanks for the compliments. They are always nice to receive. But the credit goes to the guys here on ORCA, that have graciously shared thier knowledge and experience. Guys like our President (Mr. Elder) and Dean S, Richard T, Mike C, Don C, Col. Milt, Ray, Dick and our famed basement dweller Jim S. not to forget Fudge's dad...among many others. They share...I absorb...tweek, where needed...and apply generously or simply as desired. Works well...if you listen carefully without judgement.

I'll always share the methods/processes I use, with anyone who's interested.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Have used vineager and water with a little success. Recently bought some Noxin and Flitz after seeing it on someone's site. Had never even heard of either, but have never cleaned up anything with great success. I have even used rust-olem on reels I figured were pretty well shot to begin with which I'm sure is a violation of the commandments. It just amazes me to see before and after pictures of people who have success such as yours. You do good work.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Thank You Sir! Other compounds that work well are Simichrome and Maas. Rub on, let stand a bit and polish. Multiple applications...as desired. Holler anytime, if I can help.