Smallmouth Bass and other interesting fish tales

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Smallmouth Bass and other interesting fish tales

Post by Reel Geezer »

ORCA's dedicated Secretary-Treasurer Roger Schulz flew to Idaho for his third trip after some Snake River Smallmouth Bass. We fished in Fudge's boat (my Boykin Spaniel who thinks he owns the boat) for five days last week.

Monday. Nothing really special happened, other than we caught 59 smallmouth, but nothing over 16 inches. We did keep 6 fish that were about 13" for a fish fry Tuesday night. In this photo, Roger shows a typical fish from our secret spot.

Tuesday. This day we fished a bit lower down the river, and had a very exciting day. We caught 60 fish, including a really nice smallmouth. Roger hooked into a decent smallie, and while fighting the fish stated that there was a big carp chasing his fish. Knowing the proclivities of smallies to chase a hooked fish and try to steal their food, I immediately threw my spinnerbait near his fish. I immediately hooked up. Luckily Roger's fish was landed quickly and he got the net. The result was this beautiful 21" smallmouth, that probably came close to 5 pounds. I felt bad that Roger didn't hook the fish on his cast, but was happy to show him what the Snake can produce.
A bit further downstream we were casting to some reed beds, picking up fish now and then, when I spotted something wiggling on the edge of the reeds. I ran us upstream and into the bank and discovered a sturgeon that was about four foot long. It was in distress, and had a softball size lump in the stomach area. The fisheries biologist in Roger came to the fore and after trying, unsuccessfully, to right the fish, we decided to puncture this very soft lump. When we did so, the lump collapsed like a punctured balloon and air bubbles came out the hole. We left the fish in an upright position against the reeds. When we came back three days later, it was no longer anywhere to be seen.

On Wednesday we fished a spot that sometimes produces big fish, but we didn't hit them. We did catch 39 fish up to 16" and decided to quit early and look over some of the reels in my collection. Here is a photo of one of the fish. You can see the Chattergrub in his mouth.

Thursday. We went back to our first day's drift and caught a bunch of nice fish on Flukes in shallow water before the sun came up over the ridge. We then ran upstream and drifted down through a shallow riffle and did well. We ended the day with 53 fish, including one that was 18".

Friday. We went back to our sturgeon drift area, but as we were running up the river, I suddenly decided to go around an island to an area I had not fished before and give it a try. This was a big flat with water ranging from 1-5 foot deep. The bottom was large gravel mixed with grass beds. You can get a good idea of the type of water from this photo of Roger working a Fluke.
We worked this area over with Flukes and caught 33 smallmouth before 9 AM. We then took a break and shared our coffee and cinnamon rolls with Fudge.
We drifted down a couple of miles catching fish all along the way, when we came to an island and decided to give Fudge some exercise. As we pulled into an opening of the reeds lining the bank we saw a fish against the bank. Holy Moly! It was another sturgeon. This one was about 2' long. It spooked as we pulled up toward it, but a few minutes later it reappeared off the stern of the boat and there was no doubt this was a small sturgeon. I guess this part of the river has some natural reproduction.
After all this excitement, we gathered up Fudge and continued our drift down the river. We caught a bunch of really nice fish up to 16" this day and ran the counter up to 90 fish. It was a really great ending to five days of quality fishing with a fine friend.

I failed to mention that Roger also caught a channel catfish and a nice 17" largemouth bass.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice fish and good to see the sturgeon. Always love reading about your adventures, Phil. And it's great seeing Roger on what looks like it's becoming an annual fishing expedition with you!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Again the fishing was unreal this year. I believe the Snake River smallmouths were actually a little bigger this year. The fishing, food, and friendship made for a great week. I know of no other place in the US that has the fishing that gives you quantity, quality, and beauty of the Snake River. Also how many place can you fish with a dog like Fudge. He is the fish locator in the boat and Phil and I just go as directed by Fudge.

Great week. I am always thankful that Phil and Marilyn put up with me for a week.

Roger
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Roger does not lie about Fudge's guiding ability. Here you can see him practicing his fish pointing on my backyard pet smallmouth. Incidentally, this fish will take worms from my fingers.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Just a wonderful description. Just like it came out of a 1930s Outdoor Life.

-- Dr. Todd
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

As I look out the window this morning, I wish I was back on the Snake River fishing with Fudge.

Life is good when your fishing and collecting reels.

Roger
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

wow! That's what I call a successful 4-5 days of fishing!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Since Joe brought this thread back up, I have some more information about the sturgeon. I talked with our regional fisheries manager and learned that a year ago the Idaho F&G Department purchased a bunch of sturgeon from a private hatchery here in Idaho and planted over 100 in a 20 mile stretch of the river, including the area where we saw our fish. He said that only one other fish sighting had been reported. A dead 3' sturgeon had been found washed up against an irrigation pump screen. They had no reports of any being caught.