Fishing On Lake Erie--No Thank You

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Fishing On Lake Erie--No Thank You

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Went fishing in Lake Erie one time in my life. Never again. Thought I was gonna die. I think being seasick on a boat on water where you can't see land is about the closest thing to death that there is. On top of that water was fairly calm. The only thing I was thankful for was the guys I was out with told me the previous year the waves were 6 to 8 foot high. The dock fishing I could handle. We were there for three days. It took me two to learn my lesson. The second day I told my room mate I wasn't going he said," take some extra dramamine you will be fine. Wrong! When the boat goes out, you are out till the captain says time to come back. If you are sick, too bad for you. The third day I stayed on land and waved good-bye. If I lost any lures up there, I don't believe I will have to worry about retrieving them. My friends still laugh about it to this day. I never saw much humor in it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Fishing On Lake Erie--No Thank You

Post by john elder »

Mal de Mer is no laughing matter if you're on the wrong end of it, Jon! I know it well...have spent many hours in the washing machine out fishing for tuna off San Diego...but I refused to let it keep me home as long as there was a good bite on...just have to keep down wind and don't throw up on the fish. Then again, if there isn't a bite on, I'd just as soon stick bamboo in my eyes as be out there with wind and wave swells coming from two directions...diesel fumes every time the boat turns...and some ---- with a beer in one hand and a marlboro in the other, blowing smoke up my nose...not a pretty picture!. :(
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I felt like I was dying . Throwing up over the side of the boat and the charter captain was giving me static because he was afraid I would get a little vomit on the outside of his boat. The thing I thought was really weird was even as bad as it was, after you were back on land for about an hour it had subsided. I decided right then, no ocean fishing, no great lake fishing and I have told my wife I will never go on a cruise. Saw the charter captain a couple of years later at The Indpls. Boat Sport and Travel Show, he said "oh yea I remember you, you're the one who puked all over my boat". Great to have such notoriety. Makes me start feeling woozy just thinking about it. Thinking back on it, that trip was 26years ago this summer but the memory is pretty vivid!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

I'm with you (and John). Used to go out on Charters down around the mouth of the Columbia River. Crossing that bar was like going thru the worst hurricane EVER. Dramamine had no effect what-so-ever! Usually though...I caught more fish than all the other guys...between pukes! On the "upside" Jon you accomplished a Big FEAT...those lakes are probably the deadliest bodies of water in the world. They've taken more lives than all others combined around the US. Be proud.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I've been on Lake Michigan with high wind out of the N-NE. What with the waves (about 6') from one direction and ground swells from another I was in pretty bad shape. Lucky for me it was the only time out of many times out there. There was a guy with us named Charles. They called him Chuck and me Upchuck!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

They can call me anything, as long as they don't call me to go fishing in the big waters again! Jon
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Here's one Ron Lewis just sent me for those of us that like to reminisce (best done with wastebasket nearby :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Thanks, pal. That's just what I needed to ruin my otherwise tolerable day. Things
like that are why I'm more of a collector and less of a fisherman these days, plus the fact of not being able to thread the line through the guides, tie knots and untangle messes proficiently. Have a nice day, all. Jon
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Looks familar. I don't think those hard boiled eggs and donuts I ate just before going out had anything to do with it.